Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18' open trailer and i was thinking about making a leaf box on the front of it, It will be 8' long x 4' tall i will be putting the mowers behind it when its full or in it when its empty. I will lay a tarp down then just pull it out with the lawn mower. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this idea? Any other ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My friend does that and he has me come vacuum it out when he is full. It might be a little heavy to be pulled out by a lawnmower. My compost center will pull loads out using their loaders, so a lot of people put a pallet in the front and run a chain to extend beyond the trailer.

Just some info.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Originally posted by Matt'slawncare
I have an 18' open trailer and i was thinking about making a leaf box on the front of it, It will be 8' long x 4' tall i will be putting the mowers behind it when its full or in it when its empty. I will lay a tarp down then just pull it out with the lawn mower. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this idea? Any other ideas are welcome.
Thats what I did, works but still a lot of labor getting it unloaded, have to unload some by hand till you can pull off. Tarp will tear etc. If you still want to do it that way put a pallet of similar item down and then load up, will pull better. I added another axle to my 12' trailer and put a dump insert on it, will build a 4' high box to load leaves on. I have a 16 hp vacuum, will get pics and post maybe Tomorrow. I just put some flimsy 2' side for now to haul whatever.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Unless your pullin the trailer with a stationwagon, or somethin other than a truck. Why would you want a trailer at all when doin leaf removal? Build a box for the truck and thats that.

NOOOOOO TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just gets in the way...

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Originally posted by bastalker
Unless your pullin the trailer with a stationwagon, or somethin other than a truck. Why would you want a trailer at all when doin leaf removal? Build a box for the truck and thats that.

NOOOOOO TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just gets in the way...
and what, drive the mowers with collection systems from job to job? LOL :)

could do both box in truck and trailer.

I don't work with the mowing/cleanup crew, so they go ahead and do cleanups, I pick up the leaves that they can't dump onsite, or people will call me to haul if the have no place to put them or don't want to burn, also if the city won't pick up.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Originally posted by wriken
and what, drive the mowers with collection systems from job to job? LOL :)

could do both box in truck and trailer.

I don't work with the mowing/cleanup crew, so they go ahead and do cleanups, I pick up the leaves that they can't dump onsite, or people will call me to haul if the have no place to put them or don't want to burn, also if the city won't pick up.
Leave the mowers at the house too!! They get in the way....

Looks like I'm gonna have to show U guys how to do leaf removals.....:D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Listen guys....I am from Ct. After the awsome fall folliage, there are a million plus leaves everywhere, and we up here in Ct, have made a profitable biz, maybe the most profitable out of the whole year in cleanin these things up. This is where the money is, and it aint rocket science.

Ya need a couple a blowers, and a leaf vac, preferrably mounted to the front of the truck.

Ya can have a swing vac mounted to the back, but mounted to the front is the way to go. You can drive right up to any pile an suck it right up, Easier on the truck, no towin anything, and ya can dump wherever without unhookin anything.

·
Registered
895 Posts
As you can see, I had a 16*7 trailer, put 4*8 plywood sides on it, You can see the metal latches at the front of the trailer. They are on both sides. The sides come off the trailer easily. So I take off both sides and use a pitch fork for when I need to unload the leaves. I can fit my 32" Metro on the trailer with no problem at all, as well as anything else I need to bring with me. I don't use this trailer much right now in the summertime, but in the fall it worked out great.

Feel free to email me 1-1 if you have more questions. It might not be the "BEST" way to do leaves, but it definatly works for me real simple.

Gary

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. Doogiegh so do you just unload it from the side? How long does that take? Also when it is empty and you have all of your gear in the back does it sway at all thats what i was worried about. I will be using a John Deere F525. Do you have alot of leaves that blow out of there when you are going down the road? I think im going to put a screen on top. I will email you when i get a chance for some help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The pic stinks, but i think you can get the idea. I used expanded metal and angle iron. the box is 4' tall and 4' wide, then i 45ed it another 2'to3'. Works great for leaves and grass. I just put down a tarp and at the end of the day pull it off with my Walker.
I can get some better pics if you want.

Wheel Tire Sky Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What kind of bagging system do you guys use? I have two bags now but i want to get a rear dump because it will hold alot more. The only reason that i would stick to the bags is that i could dump them where ever i can. With the rear dump you would have to rake it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't wanna sound rude but why the hell would you go as simple as a pallet or a tarp? I'd build the focker so the whole bottom and at least 3 sides would slide out on small fixed casters. Make it fit in there so the sides of your trailor act like rails for the box...get a hook on there and pull it out...tip it up with some guys or help from a jack/winch or somethin...then use the mower to push it back into the front of the trailer. This way you wouldn't have to worry about having all sorts of stuff falling off the tarp or whatever cuz you have three sides keepin it in there....and if you wanted to get really fancy....let the box be able to slide back until like right before the end gate...then have a stop there. either tie the top of the rear side to a tree and drive the trailer forward or pull it over with a mower.

just some ideas.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I use a 6' x 10' dump trailer. I load the grass in front and mound it up as the day goes by. I use 5' for grass and leaves and 5' for my WB. At the end of the day all the equipment goes into the garage and I dump out the grass and leaves.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Ok, I don't do much leaf removal but I trim a bunch of bushes every week. About 25 hours worth, palms, oaks, etc. I have a 16' trailer just for this work. Put up 4' sides for 14' of the trailer. The front holds all the tools used that day.

Now I have it lucky as the recycle place I dump at has big front end loaders and they put on these 16' pallet forks on and just slide under my load and lift it up. However, some guys use a pallet on it's edge in the front, hook a chain to it and lay the chain in the bottom of their trailer. Then hook it up to the loader or anything when they get there and drive forward and it is pulled out cleanly.

Now if you have boxes in the front and equipment in the back that would be difficult to say the least. To those who use pitch forks here is an idea. Bend it. I heated a four prong over so about 3/4 of it is bent like a rake. Now you can really grip and rip some stuff that way. Have a good time this fall. Only nine more weeks till every two week cutting for ME!:blob3: :blob4:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Originally posted by Matt'slawncare
Thanks everyone for your help. Doogiegh so do you just unload it from the side? How long does that take? Also when it is empty and you have all of your gear in the back does it sway at all thats what i was worried about. I will be using a John Deere F525. Do you have alot of leaves that blow out of there when you are going down the road? I think im going to put a screen on top. I will email you when i get a chance for some help.
Yes, I take off both of the sides (passenger and drivers side). I actually unload the trailer in a clearing on the edge of the woods. So I back the trailer into this area, take off the sides and just go silly waving back and forth clearing the leaves off. Even if I have the box filled to the top, which is a hell of a lot of leaves, it doesn't take more than 20 minutes to unload the whole thing. Yeah, It's alot of heaving and tossing with a hard toothed rake or pitch fork, but it gets the job done for now. As far as the sway goes, no, the trailer doesn't sway empty because I guess the weight of the leaf box on the front in wood weighs quite a bit actually, so even with my mowers and stuff on the trailer, with the dual axle, no real sway that I notice anyway.. And the mower is pretty much loaded on top of the axels as it is, so it's not a greatly unbalanced load with too much or too little tongue weight..

Yeah, some leaves fall out of the top. A screen for this year will be added that rolls back for ease of getting in and out.

Gary

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.