1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Compost

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pistol, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If the compost had that junk in it, then it wasn't screened properly. What are your bulk delivery options for the better stuff?

2. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

The company that makes the compost (http://www.mcgillcompost.com/) is 2 hrs from me and their min. qty is 50 cu yds - too much for me / no place to hold it. They have a reseller about 45 min from me - I think they deliver but I can't get through to them on the phone - I'm probably going to drive over and look at the product. I'll let you know. This is the only certified compost that I have been able to locate anwhere in the state of NC.

3. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

OK - after a little more digging, I have found 2-3 more cert. compost mfgrs at a much better rate. Problem will be volume and shipping. Working to get this all figured out. Two want 50 yd min. and all 1+ hours away. It's never easy.

One good thing - the compost I put out yesterday is getting a soaking rain - am I making compost tea right on the turf?!?!?!?lol

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You should also check if they will do multiple dumps. 50 yards in one place may be too much, but 50 yards in 5 places in manageable.

Exactly.

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I would more call it compost 'extract' till you spray some molasses out there. ;)

(where is the stick-poke smiley?)

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know about the 'smiley' offhand, but I am getting ready to figure out my molasses/sugar apps for the spring.

With your observations -- what do you expect from apps of sweets for the springtime microbes?

7. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I have only tried late summer apps... not much a difference form what I observed...

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

thanks, I am going to increase my active summertime apps. I didn't use any fert last year on this one place because the grass was always so green.

I have theories - but I'm not sure why. That's why I asked.