Leaf removal business isn't what I thought...

OP
G

Glwenzl

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks! On the same note. Considering I have a 16 CUFT. capacity hopper that might mean that it holds just over 200 lbs of leaves. That will or should help me in determining just how much additional weight I need (or in the case, remove from the front end).

The rake tarp meathod might not work so well for me. The manual labor (mostly bending over and also lifting) is something I need to stay away from.

Cleaning the debri from the exhaust and repositioning the fabric mesh screen doors in the lid really made a difference! It still had some deck blow out but not nearly as bad and it only blew out a couple very small pieces of noticeable leafs from the exhaust onto the yard. It really sucked the leaves up off my yard. But my yard is nothing compared to the sea of leaves that I was in last week!

When working correctly, I don't think there's any way the tarp meathod could work as fast as something like this plus with the hydraulic dump and just sitting in a mower will be much easier on my bad back.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Hydraulic dump and mower sounds easy--tis true.

Tie the corners together. Or--I tried a method of folding the tarp over the leaves. My suggestion is to just drag it to your trailer like a big bag or bundle,(pull with your mower--if needed). Dump the tarp in your trailer--or better--leave it on the trailer and return to the back yard with a new tarp. My tarp (about 12 by 20) was far bigger than needed for my small amount of test leaves, of course. I was able to walk on top of the tarp to help compress the leaves. I could drag it like a log. In the end, I folded it more compactly, as it was small.
Once you had ten tarps full of leaves on your truck or trailer--head for your disposal site.

More experienced guys could probably think of a way to eliminate the rake and blow the leaves onto the tarps (perhaps stake them down to avoid blowing the tarp away.) Keep the size and weight manageable, of course. Maybe tie the bundles with rope and a bungie cord or two.

Yes, those leaves eventually went into that half-full paper bag. Our lawn waste service picks them up.

Clearly, the grass needs to be mowed, preferably short--for easy blowing--leaves are tough to remove from tall grass.

SA402347.JPG

SA402351.JPG

SA402354.JPG

OP
G

Glwenzl

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks! Definitely some good advice!

IMG_2805.JPG

Found a package at my door today. It's my 3-point cat-0 to cat-1 conversion. Can't wait until next week and see how it installs. Looks pretty well built!

It's mostly fir my 3-point aerator but am also hoping to gain another inch on this MCS height (not that it's a big problem just a little more would be better)

Thanks again!

Charles

Moderator, Friend, Angel
I been many cities have leaf collection service to keep people from burning them. Some counties in SC have no leaf pick up. Southern people love a good fire. Don't really care whether they kill the neighbor with asthma or other lung diseased people. I got the right to burn my leaves! Want to fight about it?. Entire neighborhoods look like a forest fire is out of control. Lil ole ladies especially love to burn them. Gives them something to do. He Bubba you got anything else you want to throw on the fire? Yea got some of them there plastic milk jugs and some oil bottles. Few metal beanie weenie cans(that never burn) Left overs from last nights barbecue. Here a dead cat I found under the house:laugh: Should really stink out that hateful neighbor next door

OP
G

Glwenzl

LawnSite Senior Member
Thought I'd report that today I used the MCS first time since I cleaned it out.

It worked much better (actually great!), and not near the blowout.

Looks like I might need to get two new screens (still available from JD at $30 ea). And/or go back to regular blades (from the gator) so the leaves don't get chopped up as small.

I think the grass clippings being wet don't blow around and through the openings as bad?

And the category-1 conversion hitch didn't gain me any height at all... oh well at least it'll be right for my 3-point aerator now.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I been many cities have leaf collection service to keep people from burning them. Some counties in SC have no leaf pick up. Southern people love a good fire. Don't really care whether they kill the neighbor with asthma or other lung diseased people. I got the right to burn my leaves! Want to fight about it?. Entire neighborhoods look like a forest fire is out of control. Lil ole ladies especially love to burn them. Gives them something to do. He Bubba you got anything else you want to throw on the fire? Yea got some of them there plastic milk jugs and some oil bottles. Few metal beanie weenie cans(that never burn) Left overs from last nights barbecue. Here a dead cat I found under the house:laugh: Should really stink out that hateful neighbor next door
Good way to get rid of used tires.

Top Forums