Leaf Removal Just got Harder.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Nov 11, 2019.

1. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

So, all of a sudden it is your fault they "crapped in their nest."

The whole idea of waiting until the last leaf has dropped is untenable.

2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

^^^ or when the gutters are frozen solid and get mad that they can't be cleaned out.

3. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Silver Member

I'm planning on making some changes to try and fix this for next year. It's frustrating but I can only control what we do.

I'm thinking of really pushing a "Gutter Pre-Pay" where they get a discount for paying for Spring & Fall up front. Then we'll clean them during assigned weeks. I'll explain in the brochure that this ensures the system will function properly all year.

"Look mom, no more waiting until the last leaf has fallen" :cool2:

4. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Gutters don't fall under lawn maintenance umbrella here. Usually the window cleaning and roofing companies and the inevitable Joe Gutter pop ups handle that service.

5. Mark Stark

I'm going to make a recording of me explaining how when temps get to 32 degrees or less, things freeze. They don't realize that even moistened leaves or dirt freeze in aluminum gutters.

6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

We often get 40 to 50 leaf jobs stacked in the "que" and calls keep rolling in so it stays that way for a while.

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Haven't these folks heard of gutter guards?

8. Mark Stark

We have 2-3 decent size gutter cleaning & repair companies here in addition to us. We do quite a bit of them. Sort of a good niche for us. We do repairs, cleaning, and "high end" gutter system covers. It's really good margin work for us.

9. Mark Stark

Right! We advertise some very good ones to our clients and install/service them as well. Not everyone wants to pony up the $3k ish typical price for an install.

10. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Still it is cheaper than rotted soffits. I do get where the homeowners are coming from. It is just that they don't understand how businesses function plus who can predict the weather?