Leaf Removal Just got Harder.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
The frustrating thing is many of our clients are going to be irritated with us. Last year a few of them accused us of "over booking" jobs. We cannot predict the weather. Leaves fall when they fall.

The most irritating clients are the ones that want us to wait to do gutters or leaves until "more leaves fall" and then get mad when it snows and their stuff doesn't get done.
So, all of a sudden it is your fault they "crapped in their nest."

The whole idea of waiting until the last leaf has dropped is untenable.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
So, all of a sudden it is your fault they "crapped in their nest."

The whole idea of waiting until the last leaf has dropped is untenable.
I'm planning on making some changes to try and fix this for next year. It's frustrating but I can only control what we do.

I'm thinking of really pushing a "Gutter Pre-Pay" where they get a discount for paying for Spring & Fall up front. Then we'll clean them during assigned weeks. I'll explain in the brochure that this ensures the system will function properly all year.

"Look mom, no more waiting until the last leaf has fallen" :cool2:

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
Gutters don't fall under lawn maintenance umbrella here. Usually the window cleaning and roofing companies and the inevitable Joe Gutter pop ups handle that service.
We have 2-3 decent size gutter cleaning & repair companies here in addition to us. We do quite a bit of them. Sort of a good niche for us. We do repairs, cleaning, and "high end" gutter system covers. It's really good margin work for us.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Right! We advertise some very good ones to our clients and install/service them as well. Not everyone wants to pony up the $3k ish typical price for an install.
Still it is cheaper than rotted soffits. I do get where the homeowners are coming from. It is just that they don't understand how businesses function plus who can predict the weather?