Leaf Removal Just got Harder.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Nov 11, 2019.

1. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

We will clean out single story gutters but I pass on anything other than that. About fell off doing a second story some years ago. Was enough to tell me that just ain't worth it at least to me.

2. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Silver Member

I can't wrap my head around how some folks think. We have some serious "micro climates" here due to the great lakes. I feel like people have short memories and simply forget what happened last year.

Some clients give me pushback when I suggest their work should be scheduled before certain times of the season. I mean, it has snowed here on Halloween. I'm not trying to trick you out of your money. I'm making suggestions based on my experience, expertise, knowledge, and most importantly, COMMON SENSE :hammerhead:

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Realizing that dominant practices vary it seems best to provide weekly service until all leaves are cleaned up. May cost a few $ more but the property should never get as bad. Waiting until the last leaf has fallen is asking for trouble. especially with the lake effects.

Spring letters should include pictures of snow covered leaf covered lawns where the client wanted to wait until all leaves had fallen. Vegas has better odds than this practice.

4. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Silver Member

Absolutely agree. Good idea for the marketing materials. My partner and I are going to bounce the pros & cons of required weekly cleanups during the off season. We're both overly annoyed with the last couple of Fall seasons.

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Waiting until all leaves are down = spring leaf cleanup.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

....and people asking you why this years spring clean up is so much more than last years. Then you have to explain that you were able to clean up all the leaves before it snowed and this past fall you couldn't because they wanted to wait and do it all in one fell swoop after they were all down. THEN, wait for that blank stare to go away once they finally start to get it.

7. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Member

You guys in the snow belt have a tough job- I don't envy you. Over the course of 32 years I have gone through several early snow storms and It is really tough.

Your stories reaffirm my belief that it is dangerous to quote fall cleanups if you don't do them that day. I tell all of my regular customers that I will be on their property twice for the fall cleanup. One customer wants it weekly and one wants it just once. Weekly is quite expensive and just once is risky as ya'll have stated. I think that twice works out well.

I no longer think that gutter cleaning is worth the risk. I have done more than my fair share but, after I landed on my back in a driveway like an upside down turtle (bp blower saved me)a few years ago I started to rethink things. Last year I really became gun shy so no more. There are better ways to make money.

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  8. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto! Don't need the added liability of working off ladders!

As for leaves. I got mine mulched in on Sunday. Just in the nick of time, before about 8'' of snow on the ground by Monday nite.
    A lot of my neighbors didn't get their leaves up. So now they're screwed. Hope for a warm-up next week.
    Likewise, it sucks for the lawn companies that didn't get their leaf jobs done; now have to make the abrupt switchover to plowing and salting.
    That mild Fall made the leaves hang on a lot longer than normal.
    Now, its as if we made the sudden transition from October right into December.
    Meanwhile, if we don't get that melt-off before Thanksgiving, to still allow for leaf removal, a lot of lawns will be smothered dead next spring!

9. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Here in colorado we just had a 6 to 8 inch storm took a week and a half or so to melt so got out last week for about 3 or 4 days than we had 1 inch snow overnight last night so here we sit again hoping to get out by Wed again gonna be a rough fall I'm just hoping to get through our accounts at least 1 time weather permits we will need to hit them again with the ammount of leaves we have in trees yet but we're going to treat 1st go around like cleanups regardless with the way weather has been here

10. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

My way of doing cleanups (since getting a ztr w bagger) is doing a quick cleanup when 1/2 the leaves are down. 1-2 hours tops. Then finish when they are all down. I just explain to all customers that’s the way I USUALLY do it but also depends on the weather and my schedule/ etc. Just way easier for me being solo - especially that I don’t have to deal w that first layer of wet decomposing leaves that have been sitting on the lawns for over a month.