Leaf Removal Just got Harder.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tracer, Nov 11, 2019.

1. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

I tell all of our existing clients.
    We will try and beat the weather.
    If we get an early winter, their fall cleanup will become a spring cleanup.
    Any one time cleanup clients get told the same thing. Plus.. I let them know that existing clients come first.
    This is the first time in 3 years we got everybody finished before the snow.

2. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

It really doesn't hurt the lawn in the least to leave leafs on it all winter under the snow. I've been covering my sewer line and septic with 2' of leafs for 30 years. As long as you clean it off first thing in the spring, no problem. People do this all over MN to help from having a frozen sewer system. Or they cover it with sewer blankets or straw.

3. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Snow mold in Spring on lawns left w/leaf covering here.

we will resume leaf clean up. Chances are this will melt before the permanent snow covering in Dec.

Mature trees overhang houses here. People don’t want look at and wade through leaf mess all winter.

hort101 likes this.
  4. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

Here is s.e. Mich we got a Veteran's Day record snowfall of 8-10'' Now calling for lows in the single digits tonight! :eek::cry:
    Oh well, this week is going to be downtime for lawns & landscape work. Maybe better luck next week, as its predicted to be a high of 40 next Monday. So we'll see.

Somebody mentioned "micro climates" in an earlier post. The long-term (90-day) forecast for the upper Midwest is a warmer temps and higher accumulation predicted, due to the water level in the Great Lakes being higher than normal. So we'll just wait and see.

5. Myers Lawn Care

Myers Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I think we are done for the year. Will have spring cleanups this next year. Usually get everyone so goon in fall we don't have much cleanups in spring. Got about 4-6" here.

6. OP
    OP
    Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

We cleaning them up if it melts in next 3-5 weeks. Oaks just starting.

6A8A4D70-0E0E-4D3F-A3E3-FB329A3411FF.jpeg

4207E6E0-4C80-493E-9DD0-5975FE3C32CF.jpeg

7. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Silver Member

same here.

temps look to moderate in the 10 day-I'll keep plugging away.

probably not today, though. LOL

DSCF4677 (2).JPG

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

We are supposed to have a few 40 degree days next week (not that they ever get the extended forecast right), so I should be able to finish up them, but it is going to take a few of those 40 degree days to melt this much snow.

9. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Gold Member

Mid 20s, had leaf clean ups scheduled for today. Still used the br800 to blow some drive ways off.

20191112_124257.jpg

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Lots of oaks and maple leaves to come down still. the snow looks like it was sprinkled with black pepper or some other seasoning

100_5531.jpg

100_5536.jpg