Leaf Removal Just got Harder.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
The frustrating thing is many of our clients are going to be irritated with us. Last year a few of them accused us of "over booking" jobs. We cannot predict the weather. Leaves fall when they fall.

The most irritating clients are the ones that want us to wait to do gutters or leaves until "more leaves fall" and then get mad when it snows and their stuff doesn't get done.
I tell all of our existing clients.
We will try and beat the weather.
If we get an early winter, their fall cleanup will become a spring cleanup.
Any one time cleanup clients get told the same thing. Plus.. I let them know that existing clients come first.
This is the first time in 3 years we got everybody finished before the snow.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
Meanwhile, if we don't get that melt-off before Thanksgiving, to still allow for leaf removal, a lot of lawns will be smothered dead next spring!
It really doesn't hurt the lawn in the least to leave leafs on it all winter under the snow. I've been covering my sewer line and septic with 2' of leafs for 30 years. As long as you clean it off first thing in the spring, no problem. People do this all over MN to help from having a frozen sewer system. Or they cover it with sewer blankets or straw.

OP
T

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
Snow mold in Spring on lawns left w/leaf covering here.

we will resume leaf clean up. Chances are this will melt before the permanent snow covering in Dec.

Mature trees overhang houses here. People don’t want look at and wade through leaf mess all winter.

Trees Too

LawnSite Fanatic
Here in Colorado we just had a 6 to 8 inch storm took a week and a half or so to melt so got out last week for about 3 or 4 days than we had 1 inch snow overnight last night so here we sit again hoping to get out by Wed again gonna be a rough fall I'm just hoping to get through our accounts at least 1 time weather permits we will need to hit them again with the amount of leaves we have in trees yet but we're going to treat 1st go around like cleanups regardless with the way weather has been here
Here is s.e. Mich we got a Veteran's Day record snowfall of 8-10'' Now calling for lows in the single digits tonight! :eek::cry:
Oh well, this week is going to be downtime for lawns & landscape work. Maybe better luck next week, as its predicted to be a high of 40 next Monday. So we'll see.

Somebody mentioned "micro climates" in an earlier post. The long-term (90-day) forecast for the upper Midwest is a warmer temps and higher accumulation predicted, due to the water level in the Great Lakes being higher than normal. So we'll just wait and see.