Leaf removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by SpartanL, Mar 9, 2018.

1. SpartanL

SpartanL LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I would appreciate any advice on the topic of leaves. I maintain a property that has a lot of fallen leaves. More than I planned for. I am filling & disposing 2 trailers of leaves per service.
    Thanks

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

Try running the mower over them before loading. Chopped up leafs take up less space.

97BlackDiesel likes this.
  3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

You don't seem to have a specific question so I'll give you general advice.
    Easiest way to screw yourself in the lawn biz is leaves. Takes more equipment, time and everything. Consider the time to haul off and possible dump fees also. As Elmer Fudd said be veewwy careful when pricing leaf jobs.

My guess is you've bit off more than you bargained for. Been there done that.

4. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

Yep me too. If your doing enough leaf jobs invest in at least a good commercial mower with a large bagging system. I finally broke down and bought one last year and it's been a HUGE time and back saver.

5. 97BlackDiesel

97BlackDiesel LawnSite Member

Zero turn bagger. Chop em up then suck em up. Tarping leaves is so time consuming and no one wants to pay to begin so get on the mower!!

6. Clay Guinn

Clay Guinn LawnSite Member
    from MT

We just blow them all into the grass and bag them up with the mowers.

7. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

The worst is when someone asks you to quote a leaf removal job before they have fallen. Unless it's just a couple thousand square foot area or less I don't mess with leaves.

8. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Well since original post over a month ago with no response he must have been buried by all the leaves.

9. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

Unless it is a holly tree farm, to be complaining about 2 trailer loads of leaves in March, it has to be a nightmare

10. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the most valuable thing to know is when to not take on certain jobs. I learned this the hard way on a leaf job myself. Today that same job wouldn't be an issue. But I sure didn't take on those size leaf jobs again until I was equipped to do so.

He says he filled 2 trailer loads already. Does he have my dump trailer set up that can hold 20 yards of leaves or a 5x10 landscape trailer?

Major leaf work also takes manpower. The "big" companies have 2-5 guys on backpacks, one pushing a blower or leaf plow, one manning the debris loader, and one or two mowing up the rest. Not to mention 2-3 trucks to bring all the stuff with them. What would take a two man crew all day takes them a couple hours.

You've got to know your limits. When you can bank money to reinvest in better equipment/manpower then you can take on that work.

You learn from these mistakes and when quoting a job you will start to look around more and get better at it.

The last thing I have found with leaf work, especially on residential, is this is something people hate. Why? Because they are forced to take care of them and rarely does it really add any appeal/interest, like mulch or a new install, to a property. So people balk at prices because they need to get it done vs wanting something done. We have all been that person ourselves.

caseysmowing and Mitty87 like this.