Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
We currently run one Hustler 3400 with Highlift collection system, one. Hustler 3200 with Agri-metal frontmount leaf blower, 2 8hp Giantvac leaf blowers and one, 25hp Giant-Vac, tow behind leaf vac that is towed by one of our 1 ton dump trucks with a leaf box. We also use 3 Echo backpac blowers. With the two Hustlers and one guy in the beds with a backpack blower we can do an average size residential in about 1 1/2 hours with only three men. Most of our accounts are commerical so we usually spend a few days doing each cleanup though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This may sound silly, but I built something that works pretty good and didn't cost an arm and leg. I took a pull behind lawn trailer and built a box out of plywood about four feet above the top of the cart. Then took my first mower (an old mtd with a 46" deck) and ran a six foot piece of 8" flexible water pipe into the side of the box. I had a problem with turning so I used a L and a piece of stove pipe to run into it. Also I cut the hole out long enough to allow some flexibility. This may sound a little crazy but I don't pick out enough leaves to justify buying something really expensive. After I get the majority of the leaves off I will stripe my lawns with the micro mulch kit on my Lazer. It works for me and my customers are pleased!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Alot of my yards we can blow the leaves right into the woods and some of the yards we are able to put the leaves curbside for the town to pick up.
The equipment that I use is: 2 giant vac push blowers, 1 redmax backback, 1 stihl backpack. We also use the mowers to push the piles. then when where done blowing we'll throw on the catcher and cutt the grass and pick up any missed leaves that may have blow back or something.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
2 redmax EB6200
Little Wonder 8hp I/C
EZ-dumper with custon 5' enclosed box
16hp Billy Goat Tailgate Loader
Trac-Vac on the Dixie
Catchers on the walkbehinds
10+ plastic rakes
2 large aluminum landscape rakes
Tarps
And a pitch fork and a shovel do get the leaves out of the dumper.

We dump at a local compost dump: get charged $20 for every 1/2 ton of leaves

·
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
4,830 Posts
He would need an 18 wheeler that dumps for that monster. :) Sounds interesting Steven. Do you have a camera or a url where we could see this machine?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Our town uses a 100hp Tarco for leaf pickup. Fills a 8 yd body with 8 foot high leaf box in about 15 minutes.

If you are serious about picking up leaves the larger the loader the better.

Most of the larger units (25hp and above) I have seen are trailer-mounted;when the truck is full leave it at the curb (lock it with a chain thru the tire and coupler) go dump and youre back in business in no time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I will try to get a photo of the unit. we will tow the truck loader with a UD1800. 225 hp,12ft bed truck. with the set up is complete it will hold 18-20 yards of leaves.
when that fills up will switch to chevy 3500HD with 10ft bed holds about 14 yards. the boxes in the trucks reach 10.5' off the ground. the unit cost $8500. the steel impeler is 3/4" thick. it has a 30 gal fuel tank.
took two old 16 hp truck loaders and turned them into blowers mountedt on the front of exmarks, usings old toro wb frames.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
We do a immense amount of fall cleanups up here in Maine. We use Walker mowers to do all cleanups they are a godsend when it comes to cleanups. We then fill our trailer full and go to dump, we charge dump runs at $40per load plus another $35 for labor. Some of our cleanups run up to $1000.00 for 1 days work. If you are thinking of purchasing a mower check out Walkers plus they have a very exellent lease plan. Oh yeah also buy yourself a Shindawa power broom it almost eleminates raking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.