1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

leaf removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jterrell, Apr 27, 2004.

1. jterrell

jterrell LawnSite Member

A lady wants me to give her a proposal on removing
    leaves from her ground cover which is mostly ivory.
    I haven't quoted a price for a job like this.I think it
    would be by the hour since there is probably an acre
    of this stuff.Question is how much to charge per hour
    and how can I remove the leaves other than by hand.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If her ground cover is really ivory, then you'd better make sure she doesn't accuse you of stealing any!:D

Most likely, I assume, it's ivy, probably english ivy. It can be a pain to get leaves out of, so if you don't know how long it will take, I would see if she will agree to T&M.

Are you sure there's really an acre? That's bigger than the average residential lot. An acre is roughly 200 feet by 200 feet. I don't think I've ever seen a bed that large, and don't understand why anyone would want one that large....

The only ways I know of to remove the leaves is with a rake and/or a blower. If you try the blower route, get a backpack, you will get tired of holding a hand blower and they are not as powerful. Take the leaves to the truck/trailer on a tarp. They are a lot of bulk, but not a lot of wieght when dry.

As for what to charge per hour, that is up to you. Whatever market will bear. You are in a different market than 99% of the people here. And you don't have the exact same overhead of that 1%....

Dan