1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf setup suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PTP, Jul 6, 2005.

1. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I am thinking about getting into leaf removal this year. I have done a little of that in the past but my current setup is inadequate.

I am looking for recomendations on a setup. I am thinking that I will be pulling a 14' trailer with a cover on it. Is a leaf loader really necessary or are tarps just as good? I have done tarps in the past and it worked okay. I am thinking that a leaf loader will not be able to pack it in as well. Last year, I got over 1000 pounds of leaves in a 5X10 trailer.

Are the leaf loaders used for unloading as well? It will probably take at least an hour to unload a 6X14 by hand and I am not really excited about that.

I know that a dump trailer would be ideal but I am not really excited about spending that kind of money. I want to do more than just break even this year.

2. PTP

from Tulsa

I am thinking about making something where I can drag all of the leaves out. Does anyone else do this? Any pictures or suggestions?

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I use a 16 X 6.5 with 33" removable press board sides. I load using my ultravac bagger unless its unaccessible and then I will tarp. 2 blowers, two trucks (1 for mowers and 1 for leaves) two people and we can do a bunch of leaves in a day.

I am wanting a goose neck dump (16 or 18 X 8) so I can use it as a all purpose trailer. Have receiver mounted on the front for a L Loader and a removable top. I could use a the same trailer to haul equipment or bulk debris. Maybe this year or next on the dump but for now.....I'm manual.

W. Terry Leaves 033.jpg

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put MEG MO blades on your mowers and get one of tho loads in a week. You can get by with a 21" mower with a bagger as you will only have one bagger full per yard.

5. PTP

from Tulsa

So, how do you uload that thing? You and a pitchfork? There has got to be some way to unload quickly and easily. I know that the dump would be ideal but I would rather put the extra money into a bike.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

in the past i have just used a bagger but this year im going to get the vac for my toro. I added removable boards to my trailer to dump it on then drape a tarp over it. Unloading for me is a snap. Pull out in the middle of my farm and just kick and blow the leaves off. When the piles get big enough just strike a match. Has to really bite for some of you city guys.

7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

With the amount/thickness of leaves that fall here i doubt meg mo's would reduce it that much.Im sure they would help.

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2003 Little Wonder blower with a 10 HP Briggs Intek I/C engine and it is awesome! I also have a 1986 Mighty Mac blower with an 8 HP Briggs engine, and I can tell you that it is no match for the Little Wonder. I use my 1999 Stihl BR 320 44cc blower to clean out the schrub beds, then I use the Little Wonder to blow all of the leaves off 1 1/2+ acre properties. If the properties have woods then I blow the leaves directly into the woods. If not, then I blow them into one big pile near my trailer (parked on the street) and start loading by means of rake and green barrells. If there are a lot of leaves on a job (an account that didn't want the leaves done weekly), then I blow them toward the street, then I run my 48" Bob-Cat WB mower carefully through the leaves with an old set if blades on it to grind the leaves up some. Either way, I load all of the leaves into my 5'x10' trailer (in the fall, I put tall mesh fenceing on the inside to keep the leaves in). I then go to a local dump to dispose of the leaves. I can unload the trailer in about 10 minutes. So far my system works quite well! I don't really think you need a leaf loader unless you have a big truck or trailer to load them in and you don't want to take the time to load them by hand.