1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Unloader Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Captain, Nov 2, 2004.

1. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

We've had several ideas/methods proposed on how to get the leaves out of the trailer/truck. We're not fortunate enough to have a dump unit. The method I want to try is the old "Pallet In the Front of the Box Trick". I've got the box (4' tall), built on a 16' trailer. It holds about 11 cu.yds. when packed full. To move this amount weight, what strength rope /cable or type would you suggest using as the pulling mechanism? Also in your opinion, would it move easier with a couple of 2 x 4 's on the floor acting as rails, minimizing the drag on the trailer floor. Any help/ideas would be appreciated. I'm wasting too much time unloading by hand.

Thanks......Jim

2. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

You want to use a heavy chain. I was using a lightweight chain and it broke. The heavy chain will last. I have a stake truck and I hook up to a tree and drive away. Works good.

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice, Moose
    I was thinking of that, as well as those web type tow-straps you see at H.D., Lowes and truck supply stores. (Less cost involved at $1.00/ft.) They have a 4000# rating and will take three (total 60') for my project. Still thinking....Thanks again

Jim