1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Vac long hose? Suction loss?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bel Air Bob, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Bel Air Bob

Bel Air Bob LawnSite Member

I am looking for info on suction loss with a longer hose. I have 11HP TracVac and it came w 12ft long 8" diameter hose.....If I increase to 25 ft, will I lose much suction? Hoping someone out there has tried this and can tell me before I spend a fortune on long hose....P.M. me if u like. thanks for any advice.

2. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

I would think the suction power would be the same. Seems the main problem with going to a long hose is clogging. That 25 foot hose is going to be expensive! I have looked into hose for my Little Wonder leaf sucker and it was in the neighborhood of $10 per foot!

3. Bel Air Bob

Bel Air Bob LawnSite Member

OH YAH, BIG BUCKS. $10 per ft was lowest price I could find on 8". Got prices of $15 even $25, and the $25 wanted $50 - $100 extra for shipping on top of that!

4. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

We don't use a hose at all, just 12" pvc pipe that hangs about 8" above the ground at a 45 degree angle to the ground. Absolute best setup as far as we're concerned. NO CLOGS.
    With this system, it's good to have 2 or 3 people vacuuming. One person metering/feeding the pipe opening, and the other person(s) feeding him.