Leaf Vacuums worth the Investment?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Ottawa Lawn and Yard, Dec 2, 2019 at 10:10 AM.

1. Ottawa Lawn and Yard

Ottawa Lawn and Yard LawnSite Member

Hello From Ontario, Canada

I’m new to the industry(1 year) and I’m a one-man operation, the bulk of my work has been mowing and leaf clean-up. I’m looking into investing in either a Billy Goat Residential Leaf Vacuum(I’ve been eyeing a used KV 650 H) or a DR residential model as well. I’m just wondering what is everyone’s thoughts on any of these machines or any type of residential leaf vacuum in general?

Currently I’m doing a lot of leaf blowing with my BR600 BP, and Stihl hand blower, but I’m picking up and bagging up the leaves by hand(paid hourly), but I’m looking for a faster and\or more efficient way in order to squeeze in an extra job or two per day. On bigger jobs, I haven't had any issues getting help if I really required it, but I’m mostly on my own.
    I’m aware how these machines are ideal when the leaves are dry, but also how they can slow you down when the leaves are wet and the bag filling up fast, but with these obstacles is it still worth my investment?, will it help me save some time on residential clean-ups?

Our City offers curb side pickup, so there’s no need for me to invest in any offsite removal at this point in time.
    Would love to hear anyone’s input and recommendation as well and feel free to share any other tips and tricks for a friendly Canadian newbie.

It’s nice to see how this forum displays many different professionals inputs, ideas and experiences. I'm learning quite a bit just by reading through some of the blogs.
    Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks

2. NLPS

NLPS LawnSite Member

Depends on what area of the city you’re in. Usually I just mulch the leaves up with the ride on and if I can’t do that then use the push mower and bag them. Look into a walk behind vac from Little Wonder or billy goat possibly.

- Tyler, Kanata/Dunrobin

Cam15 and Ottawa Lawn and Yard like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

Thank you Tyler, nice to get the feedback from someone local as well. Do you know of any Little Wonder dealers here in our region?

NLPS likes this.
  4. NLPS

NLPS LawnSite Member

Always good to know some of the local owner/operators :waving:

Try Robertson rent-all in Orléans or Kanata.

hort101 likes this.
  5. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

If the city offers curbside pickup I wouldn’t bother. Just start blowing the leaves into piles, rake onto tarp, drag it behind your mower and dump it at the curb for city to get

MowDaddy and Cam15 like this.
  6. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Member

had a crapsmam.it works well in picking up leaves but putting the bag back in takes 5x longer than a mower so not sure if it's worth it to you.was not worth the space,extra money, if a lawn mower goes quicker.wouldnt pick up brush clippings well,which is what I really wanted it for.

7. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

Thank you Tyler, it's much appreciated, maybe I'll see you around some time

NLPS and hort101 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

Thank you rclawn, I should've clarified a little more, here in our city we do have curb side pickup, however not loose. It must be bagged, although we have leaf pick up services, the other half of the work must be bagged by the homeowner\contractor. I do like your suggestion though, I appreciate the feedback

9. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

Thank you No gloves, I appreciate your feedback.

10. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

A leaf bagger on a mower is by far the most efficient way. Blowing big yards really sucks especially when the wind isn’t right.