Leaf Vacuums worth the Investment?

CJ's Mowing Service

LawnSite Senior Member
I’ve battled with this as well. Wanted a Billy Goat or something similar, just ordered a Cub Cadet Chipper Shredder Vac. In Central Texas I get some leaf jobs in the winter, few are huge jobs. If it grinds things up better than the push mower, I’ll be money ahead! Just ordered, arrives Thursday. I’ll give and update when I can.

OP
O

Ottawa Lawn and Yard

LawnSite Member
I’ve battled with this as well. Wanted a Billy Goat or something similar, just ordered a Cub Cadet Chipper Shredder Vac. In Central Texas I get some leaf jobs in the winter, few are huge jobs. If it grinds things up better than the push mower, I’ll be money ahead! Just ordered, arrives Thursday. I’ll give and update when I can.
Sounds great CJ's, I'm still doing leaf cleanup(although scarce) and it's the beginning of December here. Let me know how your shredder vac works, if you can post a pic, would be great as well. Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback

tobylou8

LawnSite Bronze Member
I don't know if you can get Trac-Vac bagging systems in Canada. I've used mine to bag and loose load and place leaves on the curb. The design really packs the leaves in there tight. I also have a Little Wonder HPV. It's very clean but gets heavy when full and is a pain to dump. The bag is also subject to wearing through. I use it, but sparingly.

OP
O

Ottawa Lawn and Yard

LawnSite Member
I don't know if you can get Trac-Vac bagging systems in Canada. I've used mine to bag and loose load and place leaves on the curb. The design really packs the leaves in there tight. I also have a Little Wonder HPV. It's very clean but gets heavy when full and is a pain to dump. The bag is also subject to wearing through. I use it, but sparingly.
Thanks for that tobylou8, It's something i'm looking into as well for the near future. Do you charge extra for leaf removal if it's done by mower than by hand? or does it factor out to be the same charge as you are bringing your equipment(floating it) etc. Just curious. Thanks again

landscaper22

LawnSite Bronze Member
If the city picks up, I would just use a bagger on my mower. Really you can mulch and push the leaves towards the road near where you will leave the debris. Even if you have to bag them, just keep running over them and mulch them down so you can get a lot in a bag. I usually keep mulching then put my bagger on when I can't mulch any longer and bag what is left. The trusty old BR 600 blower and the mower is all I feel I need. Any yards with woods I just mow and mulch towards the woods and then blow what is left into the woods.

2 Cycle

LawnSite Senior Member
We also have the craftsman model. Actually really useful when you have to clean the road and the wind is swirling. We use it for pruning and routine maintenance but for big cleanups there are far better options

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Hello From Ontario, Canada

I’m new to the industry(1 year) and I’m a one-man operation, the bulk of my work has been mowing and leaf clean-up. I’m looking into investing in either a Billy Goat Residential Leaf Vacuum(I’ve been eyeing a used KV 650 H) or a DR residential model as well. I’m just wondering what is everyone’s thoughts on any of these machines or any type of residential leaf vacuum in general?

Currently I’m doing a lot of leaf blowing with my BR600 BP, and Stihl hand blower, but I’m picking up and bagging up the leaves by hand(paid hourly), but I’m looking for a faster and\or more efficient way in order to squeeze in an extra job or two per day. On bigger jobs, I haven't had any issues getting help if I really required it, but I’m mostly on my own.
I’m aware how these machines are ideal when the leaves are dry, but also how they can slow you down when the leaves are wet and the bag filling up fast, but with these obstacles is it still worth my investment?, will it help me save some time on residential clean-ups?

Our City offers curb side pickup, so there’s no need for me to invest in any offsite removal at this point in time.
Would love to hear anyone’s input and recommendation as well and feel free to share any other tips and tricks for a friendly Canadian newbie.

It’s nice to see how this forum displays many different professionals inputs, ideas and experiences. I'm learning quite a bit just by reading through some of the blogs.
Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks
What type of mowing equipment do you currently have? Can the areas you blow be gone over with a mower?