Leaf Vacuums worth the Investment?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Ottawa Lawn and Yard, Dec 2, 2019.

1. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Member

I’ve battled with this as well. Wanted a Billy Goat or something similar, just ordered a Cub Cadet Chipper Shredder Vac. In Central Texas I get some leaf jobs in the winter, few are huge jobs. If it grinds things up better than the push mower, I’ll be money ahead! Just ordered, arrives Thursday. I’ll give and update when I can.

Cam15 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

Ottawa Lawn and Yard LawnSite Member

Thank you Mowing Monkey, that is my short to long term investment, depending on how successful I am with my Leaf Vacuum if I do purchase it. I appreciate your feedback

3. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

Sounds great CJ's, I'm still doing leaf cleanup(although scarce) and it's the beginning of December here. Let me know how your shredder vac works, if you can post a pic, would be great as well. Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback

CJ's Mowing Service likes this.
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if you can get Trac-Vac bagging systems in Canada. I've used mine to bag and loose load and place leaves on the curb. The design really packs the leaves in there tight. I also have a Little Wonder HPV. It's very clean but gets heavy when full and is a pain to dump. The bag is also subject to wearing through. I use it, but sparingly.

5. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Silver Member

This is the last year I can make it without one. On some commercials we do there is just no where for them to go.

hort101 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

I hear y'a, thank you for your feedback Ijustwantausername, I appreciate your feedback

7. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

Thanks for that tobylou8, It's something i'm looking into as well for the near future. Do you charge extra for leaf removal if it's done by mower than by hand? or does it factor out to be the same charge as you are bringing your equipment(floating it) etc. Just curious. Thanks again

hort101 likes this.
  8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

If the city picks up, I would just use a bagger on my mower. Really you can mulch and push the leaves towards the road near where you will leave the debris. Even if you have to bag them, just keep running over them and mulch them down so you can get a lot in a bag. I usually keep mulching then put my bagger on when I can't mulch any longer and bag what is left. The trusty old BR 600 blower and the mower is all I feel I need. Any yards with woods I just mow and mulch towards the woods and then blow what is left into the woods.

hort101 and redmax fan like this.
  9. 2 Cycle

2 Cycle LawnSite Senior Member

We also have the craftsman model. Actually really useful when you have to clean the road and the wind is swirling. We use it for pruning and routine maintenance but for big cleanups there are far better options

hort101 likes this.
  10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

What type of mowing equipment do you currently have? Can the areas you blow be gone over with a mower?

hort101 likes this.