Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a mainline leak pop up in the middle of the road today. It’s a retirement community , half condo and half villas. We take care of the condo’s Brightview does the villas. We share a 20hp VFD pulling from a pond on our side. We just repaired a 6” blowout last week and now it looks like I have another. I’m assuming it’s the main feed to the villas side as I have no wires crossing the road. Both sides of the road are dry, maybe a little overflow from the left. A 6” main should be in an 8” sleeve, damn near impossible to break both in the middle of the road. Do you think it’s possible they dropped the main in without a sleeve ? I am really hesitant to just start cutting the road as it’s the only entrance to the community. Thoughts, thanks.
Sky Plant Shade Road surface Asphalt
Plant Water Road surface Asphalt Grey

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Theory, look at the traffic flow in regards to the drain basin and leak. I'm guessing that there is no sleeve and the line was run close to the drain. Over time as cars make the turn, ( and fire trucks, ambulances, food delivery trucks, etc) the constanant traffic puts all the wieght on the left side of the vehicle which could push the mainline up agaisnt the drain. Eventually wearing a hole. Makes sense with no flooding on either side of the road.

Map Land lot Asphalt Urban design Thoroughfare

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol the only way in and out of a retirement community?

by the time this one is finished, you will have listened/talked to so many people :ROFLMAO:

keep us updated. 🍿
Yep, one road in and out, hey, That's FL

This will be finished by Thursday, $30,000 worth of plants went in Sat, we're getting it fixed

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trust but verify- Ronald Regan

went out again yesterday and turned on the pump, not quite the story I got from my guys. Anyway, this one is going out to bid by the community. Asphalt will have to come up from the first leaks all the way to the drain, repacked, new asphalt. Dug a test hole along the curb where you see water. 12” down I had no water, this thing is deep! Easily going $10k plus. Have no interest or time for this one.
Plant Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
Nice find! Your the air induction king.

Bell ends seem unproportionally involved (in relation to basic/normal couplings) in regards to pvc failures at connection points on straight sections of pipe.

Though i must say, iv never seen one quite like that, looks like sch 40 at that.

Whats your take on the cause?

(While we wait for the return of FL)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I got called to fix a leak in a large HOA few years back. It was a post valve lateral a few feet deep dumping hundreds if not thousands of gallons into the road when that station ran. It was 2" class 200 and when I found the leak, it was a slip elbow that had curiously come "undone". It had not been glued! Turns out when the system was installed 10 years earlier, the HOA had used neighborhood "volunteers" to assist in the installation to save money. Somehow that elbow had held under intermittent pressure for 10 years, I have no idea how...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m alive. A week of hammering out the deck project and 4 days in TN helping the parents get set up for spring. Life is hopefully back to normal.

I sent the guys back last week to dig it up along the curb and at least find the pipe. What they found was a 2” mainline that was about a foot under the road. It made a 90 and headed towards the front entrance. The 90 was crack on the back side. Hence why it came up in the road. Sometimes I’m really happy when I’m wrong.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I usually don’t “gripe” (in effort to stay

on the super duper moderators good side) so I’m “griping tonight.
Bought and installed around 1,000ft of 2” schedule 40 pipe expressly for the purpose of supporting a Kifco water reel and to keep 3 one hundred gallon troughs full.

Went in as planned, pressure test for 3 days, good to go. Made the connection off schedule 40 1-1/4” supply line (short run) and filled her up.
Couple days later, I’ve got a leak.

Pulled out the generator and compressor and located the leak in less than 10 minutes. 30” or so down so I grab the mini ex and begin digging.

Cut to the chase I find the leak at the belled end. Okiedokie, cut the bell out and begin preparing to cut in a plumbers loop. I normally slip a cap on open pipe while working to keep everything as clean as possible.

That said, one cap fit snug while the other loose as a goose. Tried another cap with the same outcome.

Did a bit more cutting, grabbed a micrometer and measured the pipes. Huge difference in the OD of each pipe.

Went to town (yes, I did) (really, I went to town) to show the pipe and fittings to the supplier.

Now today I call the suppliers boss and they say they’ll help me out if the fitting of choice (there’s is a compression coupler), mine is some sort of MJ.

No dice on compensation for labor from anyone so I dug the damned thing up to the next bell and I’ll fix it tomorrow. I’d rather replace the whole stick than risk another leak.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Circle
Gas Automotive tire Auto part Machine Fluid
Shoe Road surface Wood Flooring Line
Tableware Line Font Wood Material property
Wood Automotive tire Flooring Floor Road surface

I’ll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
nice diagnosis.

seems unfair, the situation: - so something good must be karmically coming soon
Well you know it’s my fault, should have been more aware of the ease of the assembly when the rest of the pipe required much more force to seat.

Fact of the matter is without the taper/shoulder, the pipe would have leaked right off and all would have gone well, no water in the ditch to deal with.

All bets aside, fault lies on the end user and that be me.

·
Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
Much Respect.

Same thing happened to me twice within an hour on the same repair, each several minutes past labeled cure time.

I was a lesser sport, I cursed the pipe thoroughly as we replaced those sections, "defending my welding job"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts