Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2 year old Ringo dump insert only to find out that once I installed it, it sprays fluid all over my truck when it is maxed out. I was told it is due to a leaking seal in the piston. Am I better to buy a new piston or have this one rebuilt and any ideas on what the rebuild would cost?

· Registered
1,669 Posts
I recently purchased a 2 year old Ringo dump insert only to find out that once I installed it, it sprays fluid all over my truck when it is maxed out. I was told it is due to a leaking seal in the piston. Am I better to buy a new piston or have this one rebuilt and any ideas on what the rebuild would cost?
That is the answer, Which is more reasonable, price wise? I was going to rebuild angle cylinders on my snowplows, only to find out that it is only a few dollars more, to buy new ones. You probably have to take the cylinder apart, to replace the seal, so you may as well replace all the "O" rings and any other wear parts, while your at it. So I would look into cost of both ways and take the most reasonable approach. Can you do this yourself, are you equipped with the tools necessary? or will labor cost be an issue? These are also things to consider. Perhaps a rebuild kit is cheap, but many times Hydraulic cylinders can be a real bear to get apart. Some screw apart, and some have fancy locking mechanisms that call for specialized tools to take them apart, or require extremely large wrenches or spanner wrenches.

I recall one, years ago, that had a ring that went around the upper inside of the cylinder that you had to unlock out of a little hole and push it around till it came out, out of the way, to allow everything to come out.

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Rebuild around here runs $140. It's 2 new Vrings and labor. Mine is an EZDumper and they wanted $375 for a new cylinder. I didn't look further than that so you may be able to get it cheaper.

To disassemble, there is a large snap ring you have to remove. Then the top plate should come out, but it probabl won't. We had to drill and tap two 1/4-20 holes and use a makeshift puller to draw the plate out, then the rest is gravy. Cylinder wasn't damaged, the ring actually got pinched when the last person rebuilt it. Moral of the story, take it to a fluid power shop and for about $150 you should have a new to you cylinder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.