Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a Hydro gear PK-2HCA-EY1xxxx pump that is leaking slowly from where the top 'end cap' bolts down to the pump body. I have removed and replaced the seal and it is still leaking. The pump itself isnt damaged, and there didnt seem to be any deformities in the top end cap or the pump body. What could be causing the leak from this joint?
Toy Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal Machine

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the hose and its end fitting for sign of leakage? I have had hydraulic hoses weep fluid, and attachments of end fittings to hoses are potential weak points.
Yes it is weeping directly from where the end cap meets the pump housing.... same as it was before I replaced the seal there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Maye you have done this, but if in your position I would disassemble again and inspect where the seal is between the top and body (basically a big O ring if it is like mine) Look for burrs, dings, nicks... anything in the o ring channel or seal area that could cause a small leak. Also look at the seal for any deformities. ANY tiny piece of _ _ _ can cause a leak if positioned just right.

Is it leaking from one certain spot, like the same exact spot every time.

I mean if this was a cylinder head I would question warping.... but I am not sure that would be an issue here. That is usually due to high heat like when a water pump fails, no air circulation, etc...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it is weeping from one of the corners. It is a new ring in there, which is odd it would leak before and after the new ring. It was all clean and I cleaned it good. I didn't notice and deformities or anything... being it doesn't get hit or anything I wouldn't think physical damage would just occur but who knows. I am going to pull it again and look it over. I was wondering if there was somewhere in the pump that oil would be getting over the ring and bypass it and not actually 'leak through it'. Would it be possible to put a liquid gasket maker on the smooth edges when I take it apart??

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
i have done like 10 of these and 7 of the 10 leaked again when put new o ring on. The 3 that did NOT leak 2 had new caps on. What i mean is the space it leaks at the top piece that bolts to the main case of the pump and thats like $140 dollar part. The other one that did NOT leak what I did was clean both parts very well and clean the o ring seat area well but what i did was rub oil on the new o ring and put a little in where the o ring sits in and that one did not leak. That was the last time I did one so next time I am going to lube up the o ring again and pop together and hopefully it will not leak

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any reason adding gasket sealer would be an issue? On the top end cap there is a lot of flat area on the outside of where the seal ring sits, wondering if I can keep the seal in there but add gasket maker on the outside of it.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It sounds like a new cap wouldbe the best move. But you could use some sand paper and a piece of glass and sand the cap in a circular motion. As you are doing stop occasionally and clean the caps mating surface and inspect. If it is warped you will see some area where the sandpaper is leaving scratches and area without any scratches-then it is warped. This method might remove enough material to get it to seal, might not. Some gasket maker might help. Don't use to much where it could be ingested by the pump. I wouldn't use RTV gasket maker instead anerobic gasket maker. Really sounds like you need a new cap and if the dump valve is part of the cap make sure that is working correctly before using a gasket maker.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Is there any reason adding gasket sealer would be an issue? On the top end cap there is a lot of flat area on the outside of where the seal ring sits, wondering if I can keep the seal in there but add gasket maker on the outside of it.
i never tried that but if i did I would put the sealer in the grove where the o ring goes. If oil's getting past that point it's going to leak. No idea why hydro gears seem to leak here but it is annoying and one reason I prefer parker pumps

·
Registered
962 Posts
Interesting experiences @milo You have done more than I, so it is good to know. The time I did it on my two pumps....both got a new endcap.

The only other suggestion I can make @jbailey52 is to call and talk to Hydrogear. I did, cause I had some part number questions. They were FANTASTIC to deal with, very helpful. That was with COVID too or whatever this "new normal" crap is... Maybe they have an idea and can help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts