Learning Curve for First Stand on Mower (52 Vride)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Derwood, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up my first stand on mower today.

Drove it around in the driveway and garage. Actually traced some of my Fall Cheetah stripes in my front lawn... well, sort of lol! I feel like I'm running this thing exactly the same way I ran my first zero right after I got it - wobbly, and left-right, left-right... hard for me to keep it straight. I have a total of about 6 minutes on it without the blades running lol so I'm not frustrated at all. But figure I should learn things right the first time if I can.

Any pointers or suggestions for breaking in a new V-ride operator? do's and don'ts? The seller said to always back it up onto the trailer. Couldn't decide where I wanted to put my hands when operating it, today. Any suggestions/thoughts would are welcome.

It's a 2014 52 V-ride with the 23.5 Kawi

sjessen likes this.
  2. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member

nice mower! like anything else it will just take some hours behind it....Run it up and down the sidewalk trying to stay inside the edge....or run it parallel along the sidewalk edge are great training practices..

In my experience the standers react a little quicker than a ztr I think because of the shorter wheel base.

The real key to straight lines is to look far away on the horizon and fixate your sight on a single object...the body and mower will follow. on a new machine you don't know the controls as well so you glance down for a "double check second" and that's all it takes to wobble off course and do a correction and the over correction

Derwood and Ridin' Green like this.
  3. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Lean slightly forward but don't slouch over. The controls on a stander are much more responsive so use your wrists instead of your arms. Also learn how to shift your stance for on hills. When going over rough area's that are bumpy slightly bend your knees.

Also to get rid of the wobbles ignore trying to follow lines for the first 10 minutes. Just practice putting your wrists in sync with each other, moving them equally forward at the same time. Start with your thumbs first by putting your fingers on the front controls, let your wrists and thumbs rest on the main sticks. Once you get comfortable switch from your thumbs to your wrists.

Hope this helps! Show some pics if you can!

Derwood likes this.
  4. Scagtastic

Scagtastic LawnSite Member

learn to duck LOL! You will be fine we switched our fleet over from STT's to Vrides first year Scag brought them out ( '09 - '10?) Very short and gradual learning curve. About ducking....your peripheral vision WILL improve.

oqueoque and Derwood like this.
  5. Derwood

Lol I appreciate the suggestions. I can only think of a few places trees will be an issue (I'm sure a couple bonks on the skull will make me think of a couple more :)

Looking yesterday, i noticed the insides of my rear tires seem pretty worn. I don't have a ton of hills so I was thinking I'd just leave them for the start of the season. Perhaps it'll help reduce burnouts and tearing while I learn to operate it? Or would you all recommend new tires right away?

6. Derwood

Here are a few pix... Vride 1.jpg Vride 2.jpg 20180114_085426.jpg

Both tires are worn about the same - can't imagine they're all that expensive to replace

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Around $100 +/-.

8. Derwood

100 each??

9. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Yes.

oqueoque likes this.
  10. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Go to Ebay and enter your tire size and you will get representative prices.

hort101 likes this.