1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leasing skid loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by hllc, Nov 29, 2017.

1. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

Appreciate everyone's response.

The only reason we switch at the 2,500 hr Mark is because the resale on the machine stays rather high. Notice once we cross 3,000+ my market really changes price points.

We don't have extra skid loader per crew. So if a machine goes to the dealer we are then on a rental. Since changing out machines a little younger we've been problem free with crews loosing a skid for several days.

We do nearly zero winter work with the skids.

Maybe I need to consider a backup skid and run them longer overall and us the backup when a machine has a little shop time.

2. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

Correct numbers from what I've been quoted, just depends how decked out it is and frame size. We run more medium framed size but do have one large frame.

3. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

How many hours do you expect to have on them in 60 months?

Our mt85 is 2 years old and coming up on 1,000 hrs. Going well, although we had to replace the under carriage which was $3,700. Machine is greased every 8 hrs.

4. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks that you had to do that! Very surprised. Wasn't it a warrantee issue?
    Its hard to say about the hours. The MT85 is at month 14 with 720 hours. It gets used A LOT!!! The E20 is also at 19 months and only at 240 hours. My crew really likes these machines. We do a LOT of work where access is an issue. Back yard installs, patios and whatnot. Both these machines really eliminate these problems. In fact, our big skid steer is sitting idle so much that I am seriously considering selling it and buying another MT85, maybe even another E20 depending on what I get for it.

5. E-mans Hardscapes

E-mans Hardscapes LawnSite Member

1700hrs on a set of tracks??!!

What the skidsteer is used for plays a huge role in its life expectancy. The machines that we run on our hardscape crews are in much better shape @1000hrs then our tracked machines in our excavating division.

6. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

Considered a wear item and I was at the 2 year mark and out of warranty.

7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah.. we primarily do dirt work and when we load and unload in the street it’s beat into my guys head that you do it somewhere that there won’t be a lot of turning on asphalt/concrete to keep wear down.

8. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

We keep our track loader tooooo long, paid off in February, lost 2 track motors this summer 5k a shot. 3400 hrs on the clock. 10k would have made my payments and then some. Bobcat (down here) lease program to me doesn’t pencil out, 3 year lease and have to return with at least 50% tracks, it’s about 350 a month cheaper than purchase, granted 100% payment write off, but you will always have a payment.

9. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

Thanks for input.

These are the numbers I was quoted, machine has a lot of options in regards to interior and has bucket, forks, tax in price.

IMG_20171206_203837740.jpg

10. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

That seems expensive. We paid 54250 2 years ago for a Deere 323e and just got quoted 62776 for a 331 Deere, all with hvac and decently equipped.

One thing I noticed, our bobcat dealer listed sales tax in payment, yours didn’t. Not a huge amount, but something to think about.

hllc likes this.