1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaves pick up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by t j lawn care, Nov 11, 2004.

1. t j lawn care

t j lawn care LawnSite Member

I am wondering if any LCO use self Propelled Lawn Vacuum system to pick up leaves. Such as a Billy Goat KD512 sp or a Bear Cat 75011. I don’t have a big lawn care business and I can’t justify a trailer with a debris loader. Any feedback will be appreciated.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

meg mos.............

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i know lco that uses the billy goat for like gas stations and small places but for a leaf clean up with alot of leaves no. what we do is mulch them up and if there is any thing left bag the shredds or rake em up

4. t j lawn care

any other ideas?

5. t j lawn care

does anybody use a lawn vacuum to pick up leaves?

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i actually took pictures, before and after of a cleanup with my meg mos, it was amazing. i wish like hell i could post them. my scanner seems to be malfunctioning.

7. t j lawn care

What about a huge pile of leaves where you rake around a flower garden and pull them back into the yard?

8. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Billy Goat, but have not used it for some time for leaves, just use it for litter. It was ok, but was faster to use a tarp, I found, but mine is an older model ( spoke wheels) so maybe that's why. Since I run Walker's now, I don't have the need for vac's or tarps. I do have a billy goat loader, that I have on my dump trailer, with aluminum sides, and a screen top, that I use for the huge loads of leaves. This way I have it, but just for when I need it, is a dump trailer otherwise.

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 6.5hp Troy Bilt Vacuum, self propelled. I normally recycle/mulch as many leaves as i can with my Z Master, than use the walk behind vacuum to get whats left. The vacuum alone would not be enough to handle most jobs easily, but i still think its nessesary to keep around. If your business isn't real big a walk behind vacuum would probably work good for you. If you do decide to buy one, make sure it shreads the leaves and is self propelled. Before my Troy Bily i had a Toro vacuum that didn't shread and wasn't self propelled. The bag filled up every 30 seconds, and it got so heavy it was difficult to push .

10. t j lawn care

Has any body used a leaf vac for leaf clean up?