• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Leaves stuck on the recoil

sledhead

LawnSite Member
I have a 14hp Kaw on a Exmark 48" wb. How do you guys keep the leaves off the recoil? The suction just holds them on there reducing air flow? Dan

Albemarle Lawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
You generally experiece cooler temps now. Your engine can run just fine when its 100 deg, but now if you are in the 60's and 70's it can survive with reduced air flow.

Just don't let it get over 50% or so restricted. Use your "gut" feel, you know when its getting hot, intervene before it gets too hot.

John Gamba

LawnSite Fanatic
sledhead said:
I have a 14hp Kaw on a Exmark 48" wb. How do you guys keep the leaves off the recoil? The suction just holds them on there reducing air flow? Dan

Just reach over and take them off.

John

OP
S

sledhead

LawnSite Member
Yep, I stop take it out of gear, and reach around the handles. Seems I need to do it every 10-15 minuets. I thought possibly there might be some type of a very coarse foam filter that would lower the suction by deverting the flow to keep the leaves off.

geogunn

LawnSite Silver Member
John Gamba said:
Just reach over and take them off.
FINALLY...words of wisdom from the goomball....

GEO :laugh: :laugh:

gman44

LawnSite Member
I blow the recoil out and sometimes remove it to clear debris. Ive seen some machines with a piece of flexible type screen over recoil and it seems to work ok .

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
The electric start Kawi's have this problem also although there is no good reason it should.

geogunn

LawnSite Silver Member
Envy Lawn Service said:
The electric start Kawi's have this problem also although there is no good reason it should.
I have two manual start KAW's and they both suck leaves to the recoil start.

it takes about a second to wipe them off when it happens.

the inconvenience of removing them is about like running over a fresh dog turd. it gets in the tires but it aint gonna kill you.

GEO