Leaves

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Lithium Man, Dec 8, 2018.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I really don't think the amount of leaves one deals with are a north/south/east/west thing. I live in the deep south in a older town with decades old trees, oak and pines mainly. Some of my lawns are more like forests than yards. But I can drive not that far to a "city" with suburbs where the land has been clear cut and maybe a few ornamental trees that aren't that old.

2. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

your exactly right on that point to, the amount of leaves we deal with in Colorado if I had to tarp them out or just mow them up with bagger before mulching them I would be dumping pickup on almost every yard. Crap I wouldn't get much done in a day lol. It saves you a ton on dumping and room on truck and time. When we are done with a lawn there are no traces of leaves down in the grass or yards either we get them really clean. I absolutely love my walkers.

3. Koehn's Lawn Service

1st off u guys with leaf vac setups very nice setups. Just curious when u blow off lawns do you mow the lawns afterwards.

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Can't think of a lawn I just blow off since mine are usually bigger and I use mower. But if I did just blow off yes I would hit it with the mower for a finished look

5. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

I do.

6. Koehn's Lawn Service

I was just curious ive watched some videos on guys with the big vacs and they just had there crews blowing everything to the curb and would vac it up and leave. The yard definatly needed cut from what I was seeing but that was there cleanup I guess. Which like ive said before everyone does things differently and maybe that is all the customer wanted as far as a cleanup. It is interesting to see how guys do do things differently around all the different climates and states and countries. Depending on different grasses how they are cut and so on and so forth.

7. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

I think in most cases no. Unless the client is paying for the mow as well. Of course this is location specific. In my area dealing with about 95% of all lawns being Bermuda and Zoysia once they go dormant most people refuse to pay for any additional mowing. Although I can go mow and bag a dormant lawn and still get a good amount of dead grass.

If I dealt with primarily with Fescue or KBG the argument for mowing after would have more value in the customers mind because it's still green and possibly still growing albeit very slow.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Just to clarify I'm not really mowing in the sense that I'm trying to cut grass. My grasses have pretty much quit growing so no real "grass", just nicking the tops and getting any leaves that the blower might not have gotten.

9. Koehn's Lawn Service

That is the deal in colorado we have blue grass so when we do final cleanups we are cutting each and every one of them.

10. RLeClair

RLeClair LawnSite Member

I was thinking about a leaf plow for next year, but I have one question. How do those things perform on hills? A lot of my clients have hills in their backyards, so I envision the plow digging into the soil as you go uphill.