LEAVES??

Tim1075

LawnSite Member
I do my leaves by perimeterizing the yard with a backpack so all the leaves are about 6 foot from the property line and beds. Then i take the wheel blower and blow them all into a large pile by the street where i park the dump truck(f-350 with 6 foot plywood sides). Then since i work alone i take the green barrels and fill them up and toss them up over the sides. Then after i have them all loaded i cut the grass. I pick the leaves up about once a week starting in oct.

DanG

LawnSite Member
Up here in NY most leaves don't fall untill around Nov.1st or later. So i mow normally but with mulching kits on my Z-masters throughout october and through Nov.<br>I can mulch up around 3&quot; of leaves if i have to and it leaves about 1/4&quot; or smaller sized pieces which i then go and pick-up as needed with the bagger on my smaller Z but most of the time they just rot into the ground.<br>If I have to I go around and use a blower to get them out where I can mulch them(I do mostly cemeterys and they tend to build up where the mowers won't fit)<br>I used to use a truck mounted Trac-Vac on a 10yard chip/leaf truck and this is alot faster by far.<br>And all I got was rave reviews with just mulching last year so thats what I'll be doing this year again

Tim1075

LawnSite Member
And if i find that i need to move leaves from 1 part of the yard to the place where i'm making the pile and i cant just blow them there i will make a pile and rake it onto the tarp and drag them to where i'm making the large pile

Mowin4cash

LawnSite Member
Where are some of you guys dumping your leaves? It costs $55.00 a ton to dump them where I live. And no farmer wants to take them even though I use a two blade setup on my Dixie Chopper to pulverize the leaves as I gather them. I reduce leaves to almost powder, you'ld think farmers would jump at the chance to have this &quot;FREE MULCH&quot; delivered to their fields! <p>----------<br>When the mowing gets tough, sharpen your damn blades!<br>

Tim1075

LawnSite Member
We have a dump in our town and it costs $25.00 to get a permit which is all you need to dump as much leaves and grass and wood for the whole year. The only thing is the leaves, grass, ect. has to be from our town so there are not that many landscapers that dump there.

gene gls

LawnSite Gold Member
I guess I am one of the lucky ones! I have a neighbor down the road that has an old gravel pit. I maintain her property in exchange for dumping privleges. I have a new neighbor further down that raises pumpkins.He will take all the grass and leaves that I collect for his compost pile to use in his pumpkin patch.

Cutter1

LawnSite Bronze Member
Any way you look at it, leaves suck. I bill for the time and number of people I send, but the best way to get it done is too sub it out. If not I just run it over with my Laser. Dumping is nice if you have your parents down the road own 20 acres!!