Lebanon/Mesa Product

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by jmlawns, Dec 11, 2017.

1. jmlawns

jmlawns LawnSite Member

I have been having trouble with Red Thread the last few years. Site One recommended I use the Lebanon/Mesa product Spring and Fall applications to help with this problem. I did so this year and will see if any improvement next season. Anyone have any experience using this (Lebanon/Mesa) product? They said the N is broken down differently and would last longer in the soil any thoughts out there?

2. jmlawns

jmlawns LawnSite Member

Bump: So I am the only one using Mesa?

3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

jmlawns likes this.
  4. jmlawns

jmlawns LawnSite Member

hort101 likes this.
  5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

You can also research on here and Google treatment tips and cultural control for red thread
    Ie avoiding watering at night, height of cut etc:)

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  6. jmlawns

jmlawns LawnSite Member

All lawns I cut do not have irrigation, so I have to depend on mother nature not always good!:laugh: I do mow at 3.5 ins and like I said trying Mesa for longer lasting N! Not to sound stupid but I do not know how to search for a specific subject on this site!!

hort101 likes this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

Good just trying to cover the bases
    A soil test is good too if you haven't already done so

Search on here click on the magnifying glass top right corner
    Fill in the options and go
    An example I put in red thread here's the link
    https://www.lawnsite.com/search/42637156/?q=Red+thread&o=date

jmlawns likes this.
  8. jmlawns

jmlawns LawnSite Member

Got it Thanks!!

hort101 likes this.
  9. Reedo

Reedo LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from S.E. Minnesota

It’s a great product. We have been using it for a few years now.

hort101 likes this.
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

JML, the problem is--that many of the less expensive and older types of perennial rye are very susceptible to red thread fungus. If mixed with an older type of red fescue (like Boreal), it gets worse. Heavy dew areas, which occur in full sun are more prone to the fungus, shade--not so much.
    I suggest reducing water to a half-inch twice per week, in mid afternoon.This reduces average humidity. Avoid water late in the day, as you never want to put your grass to bed when it is still wet.

Remember that many retail seed types have bluegrass and perennial rye as mixtures. It is typical for the rye to crowd out and dominate the slow-starting Kentucky bluegrass. The rye predominates and the bluegrass struggles up to about 5 percent of the final stand of grass.

Cutter II--is resistant to red thread. Also, "Mighty". Do not buy any rye that is not resistant.
    http://www.pickseed.com/professional-turf/products/ryegrass/perennial-ryegrass/cutter-ii.aspx

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    GrassManKzoo, jmlawns and hort101 like this.