led lighting - just be honest!

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by meets1, Jul 2, 2019.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Kichler lighting. 15005 AZT lights. 26. 12 gauge strand wire. Transformer. Ran one run 160 ft. 14 lights worked. Ran the other 12 lights to the other way around the house and hooked up. That wire run was about 100 ft.

So the 1st 14 were working. We did the second hook up. Did the 12 lights and hooked up and they worked. So I had the other 14 lights un hooked from transformer bc I needed to hammer drill through foundation for the other run of wires. Went to hook the 14 up, only 9 came on.

Changed bulbs, checked all connections. Wasted an afternoon. Only thing I can tell is I am not getting the voltage out of the outlet. 1 outlet in the garage - nothing on the outside of house. But freezer runs. Ceiling fan in garage, on deck run. Charger ports for trimmers plugged in. All on 1 outlet. 12-2 wire running from down stairs panel about 100 ft into the garage. Just what a frustrating afternoon - when I do these lights all the time and usually its always a breeze and enjoyable to work on. But today was just an issue.

Any other advice?

2. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

What's the no-load voltage at the transformer? What does it drop to under load?

3. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Silver Member
    from usa

4. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Too obvious, Mike.

5. OP
    OP
    meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Transformer was bad outta the box. Best we could do was get 11 on the 15 volt plug. Replaced it - golden!

sjessen and rlitman like this.
  6. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

meets: do you care to share brand of the transformer? Seems unusual.