LED Operating Range

Discussion in 'VOLT Lighting (Archived)' started by Chris J, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Quick question: It is my understanding that the Volt LED lamps are dimmable, and I believe the operating range is 9-15v. I know some lamps offer the same lumen output as long as the voltage is within that range, but they are not dimmable. My question is this: At what voltage does the Volt lamps start to dim, and at what point do they reach their minimum limit and cease to operate (if any).

Thanks,

2. steveparrott

steveparrott LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the question. Our new LED MR-16 and PAR-36 series have an operating range of 11-16V. The LED G4 Bi-Pins have a range of 9-15V.

None of our LED lamps are dimmable. The lumen output will be nearly constant throughout the operating range. Below the range, the lamp will not operate properly.

The only dimmable LEDs are with the AMP brand - using the IR Remote Control. This control unit does not lower the voltage, it uses Phase Width Modulation (PWM - a kind of electronic dimming) to reduce lumen output.

Thanks again,

3. OP
    OP
    Chris J

Wow! Ok... I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the Volt LED lamps were dimmable but I guess I could have been mistaken. I also didn't realize that the operating range of the "new" MR16 and PAR36 series had a minimum voltage of only 11v, and a maximum limit of 16v which is beyond the UL 1838 standard limit of 15v.
    This is very interesting information, and I appreciate your reply. I'll have to think about these new revelations and get back to you. Is there any specific reason that the minimum operating voltage is so much different than most of the other offerings that pretty much standardize 8 or 9 volts as a minimum?

Thanks again

4. steveparrott

steveparrott LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris,

I'm checking with our engineers to find out the thinking behind this.

From a practical perspective, I have always suggested shooting for voltage at the fixture of around 12V (for all LED systems). I think it would be pretty rare for an LED fixture (on a wire run) to receive less than 11V when you start at 15V. You can do the calculations, but I'd say 11 to 16V is a good workable range.

As for going above the UL 1838 limit, lamps are allowed to have ratings up to any voltage. It is only the power supplies that are affected by the limit.

Because I was curious, I checked with other mfgs. to see where MR16 operating voltages differ. I only found a couple that went down to 8 or 9V. Surprisingly, Soraa lists their's as 12V +/– 1.2V - that's very narrow. Most mfgs. (even big ones such as GE and Philips) don't even provide voltage ranges. As far as I know, there is no standardized operating voltage range for LED lamps.

Still, I agree that all designers should know exactly what the range is for all their fixtures and lamps - so they can design their systems properly.

To summarize: While I don't see any problem with our 11 to 16V range, I will try to provide more info on the thinking behind it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  5. Alan B

Alan B Sponsor
    Male, from tampa, fl

Chris,

Let me be a little more specific. Our LED bulbs will operate anywhere from 8 volts-22 volts. We publish 11-16 v because that is optimal lumen output and less confusing for people. Below 11 volts you get a slight reduction in lumen output on PAR 356 lamps and the same is true below 10 volts for mr16's and bipins. To be specific here are the results for 2 lamps categories (and all others follow the same pattern):

5w PAR 36
    Volts Lumens
    11-22 425
    10 400
    9 326
    8 235

30w equivalent MR16
    Volts Lumens
    10-22 293
    9 244
    8 211
    7 183
    6 145

Feel free to use anywhere from 10-16 volts and if you want you can even go upt to 22 v, or down to 8 volts (but you'll start to lose some output below 10 watts). I hope that helps clarify.

6. OP
    OP
    Chris J

There is no problem with it at all, as long as I'm aware of it so I can calculate for it.... which I am now. I'm just wondering if I'm a complete idiot for not thinking about this before now or are many others going to make this same mistake because they were also not aware of it? (I can hear the masses reading this and saying "nope, your the only idiot!") LOL!!

Do you have more specs that address the other lamp categories? By the way, you guys might need to have a staff meeting and get on the same page. Although I certainly appreciate the responses from both you and Steve, your information doesn't seem to be entirely the same. Are you sure you guys work for the same company? :laugh: Just ribbing you. Thanks for the info!!!

7. Alan B

Alan B Sponsor
    Male, from tampa, fl

We are conservative on all our reporting. It keeps things simple and we can never be questioned as to the integrity of the specifications we publish. Also many people get overwhelmed if you provide too much info.

Our bipins follow the same pattern as the mr16's.