1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

legal bussiness

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SangerLawn, Oct 16, 2007.

  1. SangerLawn

    SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana
    Messages: 736

    This is a dumb question especially now that summer is over. I have seen many places about a tax id number. I have searched the site but all I find is post talking about they have one. I have registered my name, got insurance, but in this state you do not need a business license to cut grass. Here is my question, now that I mowed all summer long is there something I am missing? I think I am legal? Do I have to have a tax id number? I have been using my social #? I know this is kind of late to ask but I have been seeing several post talking about tax id lately.

    by the way... topsite, thanks for all your post... i have gotten alot of info off you, thanks again. well if you see this lol.
  2. Team-Green L&L

    Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,775

    Your "tax ID#" is known as your FEIN or Federal Employee Identification Number, which is used in filing taxes for your business. If you had a business registered with your Secretary of State and paid the appropriate filing fees you would have received a letter in the mail containing your FEIN or you can call your Sec. of State.

    If you are a sole proprietor you will be filing your business taxes as a supplementary income under your SS#.
  3. SangerLawn

    SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana
    Messages: 736

    ??? i never got a letter about that?? i went to the court house, paid i think 15 dollars, waited about 10 minutes and she came back with a paper for me to sign. about 2 weeks later i got a copy of what i signed in the mail. nothing more? can i not keep useing my social number? i am a more or less a solo.
  4. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    at the state level, not local, you are registed locally, you must file a dba sith the state..... all states are a little different... go to your states web site

    you must be a sole proprioter with a dba, not incorporated, in this case you just use your soc number
  5. Team-Green L&L

    Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,775

    Okay, you are simply registered in your town, which will not give you a federal tax number. You must register through the state (or someone else can and send you a letter to "cease and desist" the use of your name). Ohio has a $125.00 filing fee and $250 if you want it expedited. Check out your Secretary of State's site for more info on incorporation:


    If you've never been to this site, you may want to bookmark it.
  6. LushGreenLawn

    LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,120

    In my state, as long as you don't have employees, and are a sole prop, you just use your social. I doubt your state will let you run any kind of business without a licence, the person who gave you this information was probrably thinking of a professional license (like you would need for contracting, cutting hair, plumbing, ect, to show competence in your line of work).

    I would double check
  7. TarheelTLC

    TarheelTLC LawnSite Member
    Messages: 59

    Every state is different. In NC there is a business center to call and they will step you through everything that is required for a new business. If you are a one man shop like myself. For NC here is what they told me.....
    1) Check city for business license in my case none required
    2) Assumed name for business must be filed in all counties that you will be working in.
    3) No State license required but must file a form to associate my ssn with my business name. They got to get their taxes.
    4) go to IRS.gov to get the form to register with the IRS.

    Beside insurance and pesticide license for the state you would be set in NC. I spray roundup and found that I need license. Working on that piece!

Share This Page