legal issues

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AndrewLawn, Jul 12, 2001.

  1. AndrewLawn

    AndrewLawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 92

    Hi,I'm down on my knees,this is my plea for help.The hardest part for me about this business,is knowing the legalities of it!You know,the taxes,the business licenses,the insurance,etc. Now,I'm not stupid,I've been to barnes&noble several times,looking for books to help me through this,but there is just so much different things.You know,from state to state things are different,etc. To complicate the issue even more,I'm just 15(laws and regulations are different for minors.....sometimes). I want to get my business legitimate,but don't want to go through all this hassle!!!yikes. Is there anyone I can talk to that knows about this stuff,books confuse me more than help me,that is,when I actually find a book thats similar to my "needs". If you know about this legal stuff,especially if you fit my criteria (under 18,living in Missouri)please pitch in.Even if you're not under 18 and don't live in Missouri,please share your knowledge. Also,I've heard a lot about a small business association or something like that. Can anyone tell me where I can find my local "SBA" member or something,they might really be able to help. I've asked this question before,and got very few responses,most of which didn't help me too much,but I appreciate their input nonetheless. I'm hoping I'll get more response this time. Thanks in advance.
  2. Rooster

    Rooster LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 460


    Check with your parents, ask them who does their taxes. Who everthey use will be a good start. Maybe by chance you parents know a business owner you could talk to and get some guideance.

    Hope this helps!

  3. Jay ALC

    Jay ALC LawnSite Member
    Messages: 89

    I myself have been and am still somewhat in your situation. I am 17, but still under 18 so most things that apply to me are the same for you. I also live in Saint Joseph, MO. Now to get a good start talk to your chamber of commerce or SBA which you should find in the yellow pages or ask around to get contact names/numbers. Then talk to an accountant. One or the other should be able to help out on the licensing and so forth especially the accountant with tax issues. You might even be able to just go to your city hall and find out from someone in the finance department about the local business license. Finally, I would go talk to an insurance agent but you will need your dad to go with you, co-sign for anything since you are under 18. If you are seriously in it for a business you should get general liability and equipment coverage. All these things add up and I don't know much about your situation so some of the insurance may not be necessary for you. Also, about taxes, depending on what you're making and if you have any employees things can get pricey, so just talk to the different people mentioned above and one or all of them should be able to help you out.
  4. Stonehenge

    Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest
    Messages: 1,276

    The Service Corps Of Retired Executives (SCORE) is a division of your local chamber of commerce. Call them. Tell them who you are, what things you need help with.

    Their services are free for the asking, and they will pair you up (ideally) with someone who has had a career of experience in a related field. They can help you with setting up the form of your biz (Inc, LLC, etc), they can help you with hiring, OSHA info, marketing, the works. And it doesn't cost a dime.

Share This Page