****Legal questions****

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by toomuchtime, Apr 17, 2011.

  1. toomuchtime

    toomuchtime LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 267

    Hello all I have a question. Let me start by telling you I live in the great state of Ca.... Lol I am not a contractor I own my own machine and equipment and 99% of the time use it on my own property. Now for the question. I have a few neighbors who would like to hire me to brush hog there propertys 2 to 4 acres and a bit of light bobcat work.

    I carry a million liability policy and but do i need a contractors license? i dont want to get my a** in a sling.

    Thanks guys
  2. icex

    icex LawnSite Senior Member
    from WV
    Messages: 389

    Here in WV you have to have a contractors license if the project is $25,000 or more. I am a licensed contractor but use it because my business is obviously a contracting company. For just a few neighbors I would just classify it as side work, and not worry about a contractors license.
  3. bobcat_ron

    bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,137

    Don't sweat it, you've got insurance, and it's not like you are doing massive infastructure or ROW mowing.
  4. ccstrebe

    ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 579

    In Arizona a job can be no more than $750 to be able to do it without a contractors licence. Check your states requirements.
  5. bighornjd

    bighornjd LawnSite Member
    Messages: 215

    Yeah i think it's over 500 here you need one. I wouldn't worry about it. CASH is King.
  6. icex

    icex LawnSite Senior Member
    from WV
    Messages: 389

    git 'er done!
  7. toomuchtime

    toomuchtime LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 267

    Thanks for the info guys. I checked in to Cali law it is anything over $500.00 a day you need a license. Im going to knock these two out and go to night school i think. My question is what catagory of license. There is a C speacialty license that is for grading and paving but does not list anything for land clearing. Its a bit confusing which license to go for.

Share This Page