Legally contracting an HOA

Jnak

LawnSite Member
Hey everyone I can really use some help here. I currently do lawn and Landscape as a side hustle waiting until January to incorporate and insure myself but have an opportunity to pick up an HOA. What all is needed to legally and professionally do these jobs ie license, insurances, contracts etc. Pretty sure I can fast track what's needed to at least get a bid in. Thanks!

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey everyone I can really use some help here. I currently do lawn and Landscape as a side hustle waiting until January to incorporate and insure myself but have an opportunity to pick up an HOA. What all is needed to legally and professionally do these jobs ie license, insurances, contracts etc. Pretty sure I can fast track what's needed to at least get a bid in. Thanks!
license, insurances, contracts & tax id (of some sort, ss...), means to accomplish the work....

OP
J

Jnak

LawnSite Member
license, insurances, contracts & tax id (of some sort, ss...), means to accomplish the work....
Does the same residential lawn agreement type surfice? Just stating type of work, frequency and amount due...monthly I'm guessing

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
It depends on what they want. It may need to be more defined, cut and dry, more exact in wording. But a standard contract should suffice.

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
I currently do lawn and Landscape as a side hustle waiting until January to incorporate and insure myself . . . What all is needed to legally and professionally do these jobs ie license . . .
Requirements for business licenses vary by state and local rules. Do a search for "starting a business in [your city, state]".

Since you are operating the business now, why wait until January to incorporate? And do you really mean to form a corporation, or are you thinking an LLC or just formally creating a sole proprietorship? Each business form has its advantages.

OP
J

Jnak

LawnSite Member
Requirements for business licenses vary by state and local rules. Do a search for "starting a business in [your city, state]".

Since you are operating the business now, why wait until January to incorporate? And do you really mean to form a corporation, or are you thinking an LLC or just formally creating a sole proprietorship? Each business form has its advantages.
Right now I'm not a formal business at all just a side gig to my full time electrician job that I need to stick out for health insurance my son gets his 3rd open heart surgery early next year. I'm going to go the LLC route here in MD which I've done before as a contractor but to this year I think would be a bust in terms of start up cost and filling business tax when I would have larger deductions or write offs when I upgrade equipment.. or am I wrong here

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
OK cool, I only asked because it's really important to be very pedantic on what services are provided as well as how they are provided when residential lawns are included in the contract.

Otherwise you have dozens or even hundreds of people who think they are the boss and have the right to tell you how to do your job and without having it all spelled out it's harder to argue. A headache to put it mildly.