• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Length of Grass

parkay

LawnSite Member
I know that you should cut the grass higher during the warmer months, but what about the rest of the year? Should I be cutting the lawn shorter towards the end of the year? Your input will be greatly appreciated.

awm

LawnSite Gold Member
I always cut real low first cut .Better
done before grass starts to green.
This causes a better early green and I
believe stimulates grass.

Eric ELM

Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
Parkay,
The northern grass should never be cut shorter than 3" during the summmer months, but in the spring and fall, you can bring it down to 2" to 2.5". I always do it this way. In the dry months I might bring it up to 3.5 to 4". By cutting it shorter in the fall, you help eliminate winter kill up north from snow.

jason2

LawnSite Member
I'd be concerned with cutting short in the spring. When you cut short early you allow more sunlight to be absorbed by germinating weeds, especially crabgrass. This stimulates the crabgrass and can make control of it tougher. By cutting the grass at your normal height, you help keep the grass ahead of the undesirable weeds.