Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sprayrig with a d50 pump and mechanical agitator, and I'm trying to replace the pump but can't get the pulley setup off of the pump. Has anyone done this and if you have any info would be great. I have already removed the set screws but it won't budge, even tried a great puller.

Registered
I have a sprayrig with a d50 pump and mechanical agitator, and I'm trying to replace the pump but can't get the pulley setup off of the pump. Has anyone done this and if you have any info would be great. I have already removed the set screws but it won't budge, even tried a great puller.
Can you post some pics of what you are trying to remove. Any way you can put some heat on to the pulley ? A little plumber torch ?

Super Moderator
Motorcycle and chopper shops can do this sort of thing. Have you tried heat-- plus then chill the inside part with ice?

Or...do the easy thing and rebuild the pump. New diaphragms.

Registered
Try 1 pulley at a time. PB Blaster spray won't hurt either in the setscrew after you removed the securing fastener. If that still a no-go then Heat should do it. Good luck with the refreshed setup.

Registered
Cut the shaft off the pump, use either a press to push the shaft out, or beat it out with a BFH and a large punch. If you know some on that has a Mac or SnapOn air hammer, beat/hammer it out.

Or take it to a shop.....

Good Luck

Registered
Should be two set screws in each pulley. Two pulleys in the pic. Small double and large double. You鈥檒l have to get the small one off first. Little plumbers torch heats too slow to help. Those are cast iron pulleys. Takes a lot of heat to get them hot, and it has to be heated quickly or the shaft heats up too and your still in the same place. Once heated, you have a very short window of time (couple minutes max) to try to get it to move. Then it all has to be allowed to cool before trying again. Cast heats slow and cools faster than hard steel. You will have to use an oxy-acetylene torch.

Is this a keyed shaft? Or a 鈥淒鈥 shaft? Or just round with set screws?

Also note, that big cast pulley will break easier than you think, especially once it鈥檚 been heated. You don鈥檛 want to buy another one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts