1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Lesco 80lb assembly help. ? axle washers

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Bluehinder, May 14, 2020.

1. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Half our spreaders are from the 80s, all still working. I just went through almost all of them. Grease the zerks, lube the moveable points as riggle said, and get rid of any slop in the wheels/Axel's. I wouldn't worry about what the directions say for the spacers, use as many is needed, where there needed, to reduce any slop. Make sure the gear box stays on center and not kiddy whompus when you add spacers

2. andersman02

One thing I've noticed that really sucks, is these have been so used the little green nipple that hangs down for the agitator to slide over is angled slightly on all the old spreaders. Working just fine but only a matter of time before it breaks, had this happen on one.

Also, the metal plate that opens and closes has cut through the nipples and white pieces over time

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

After about a thousand lawn treatments--plan to replace the gears and platter. Good winter project.
    Why not replace the plastic bushings that serve as axle bearings too?

Think about a "Break-thru Agitator" for better, more dependable fertilizer flow.

On my R-8 spreader, I replaced the cheap hand grips with soft comfortable BMX hand grips.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...x+hand+grips&form=IGRE&first=1&cw=1117&ch=412

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  4. OP
    OP
    Bluehinder

Bluehinder LawnSite Member
    from Denver

Break-thru Agitator. I've watched the videos. For residential use once or twice a month, seed, fertilizer, humic, is it worth it?

nickg13 likes this.
  5. andersman02

6. nickg13

nickg13 LawnSite Member
    from NY

I assembled the same one 2 weeks ago and faced the same washer dilemma. For me it became easy: I wanted a washer on the inside of each wheel (between the wheel and the hub) and i wanted as little play as possible. BUT I noticed the plastic bearing hub caps were not all the way in! After pushing them in it fit 3 washers on the outside of the left wheel.

I used bearing grease until it started coming out along the axle.

I also adjusted the shutoff plate clips, as received they left about 1/16 - 1/8 gap.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic