Lesco hps chariot spreader issues

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bunton Guy, Oct 4, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

Mr. Efficiency you are correct! With a few changes it would be better....but then again with a few changes it would be a permagreen and the same price as well.

I only bought for the price!

I moved from a push spreader to a lesco 3 wheel self propelled spreader then up to the chariot spreader. I was working my way to an LT Rich just not enough clients to justify it yet.

Mr Efficiency likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Bunton Guy

The plastic wheel has a bearing in the center that seized and had so much slop in the bearing that it allowed the plastic pulley to slop back and forth until it melted and nearly started a fire. It was dripping liquid plastic on the lawn.

There is no alignment dowel on the pulley assembly! you have to loosen one 9/16" bolt and put tension on the pulley arm by hand. Better hope that you guessed how much tension it needs because if its to tight the belt will spin around a pulley that stays stationary and ruin the plastic pulley in a matter of a minute.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a spring is missing. Every tension pulley usually has a spring connected to the bracket the plastic pulley is on to put pressure on the belt.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

The tranny on those machines is a hydrogear, they rarely fail unless they overheat! Flat spot on the pully indicates the bearing failed and the pully locked up, that is not uncommon on these machines. Did you replace the spring loaded idler arm as well as the pully? If you did replace the idler, check the belt, it may be the wrong size.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

DD0346EB-38FB-402A-8233-F3C11220D791.jpeg Is this the part that failed , It comes all as one piece for some reason
    You can’t just purchase the pulley .

hort101 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Bunton Guy

Yes that's the part that originally failed. Odly enough both times I replaced it I had just ordered the pulley from site one and not the tensioner arm.

7. OP
    OP
    Bunton Guy

I also checked the fan pulley to make sure it haven't striped. It's splined and all splines on both inner and outer are fine.

8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

You should Replace that cheesy plastic pulley with the metal one, lasts much longer.
    Did that on every one Ive owned, and haven’t seized /ruined one yet.

hort101 likes this.
  9. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I wonder if the tensioner is gone too

Walker56 and jbturf like this.
  10. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

could be, I had one get all rusty and weak and had to replace it,
    but that was after about 9 years and with heavy use.

its really a simple setup. and his problem is likely either lack of tension
    on the belt from improperly adjusted /bad tensioner. OR- a motor mount
    is broke, when one breaks the motor actually tilts as you try and go forward and it takes tension off the belt

hort101 likes this.