1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

lesco is very good, your loss!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakegastonla, Jul 3, 2000.

1. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

I agree with Chuck on this one. Unless you run a mower day in and day out, or have before, or you have worked on that particular mower, you have no valid say in the reliability of the product. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I usally don't say much about mowers,I don't mow much. But anyone can have problems with mowers. We use 2 Bobcat Ransomes 48&quot; WB to mow parks that we build, the first one we bought the motor locked up the dealer repaired it no charge. I don't call any mower bad. We have had problems with other equipment that we own but I can't bad mouth it becasue most times inexperiance operators or poor maintance was the problem. <br>Seem to remember saying &quot;You can please all the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but you can't please all the people all the time&quot;<p>----------<br>paul<br>

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, my opinion on lawn mowers is null and void according to the administrator, I don't meet his criteria for any of them.<p>But, I do think it's important to realize Lesco builds 2 lines of mowers, their original walk-behinds and the &quot;MTD&quot; series. The original fixed-deck, belt-drive, which lakegastonla owns are very well built machines with a good cut. The newer MTD type floater deck hydros? Well, perhaps there's better out there.<p>Because most maintenance problems on walk-behind mowers USED to occur with the engines. With the reliablilty of todays engine, most downtime concerns have faded with all product lines.<p>

4. From what I have gleaned the old lescos were<br>a good copy of a scag.

5. OP
    OP
    lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

All in all, I would say that it is hard to go out these days and buy a truly BAD mower.<br>As Lazer pointed out, product lines have improved across the board, probably due to increaced competition amoung brands. That's why it ticks me off to hear someone spouting ignorance about a brand they have almost no experience with. You were the friend of a guy (twice removed) who USED to have an older lesco mower and he had trouble with it,<br>so all the line must be crap. Hey, according to your logic, this season when you take vacation....DON'T FLY!! A jet crashed last month, and killed everyone on board! Holy crap, batman!! All jets must be junk! We must let the public know about this<p> :)

6. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

my 2 cents worth.i`ve owned lesco wb`s,both the belt and hydro.I never had any major problems with them.And when they went down,the guys at lesco would even bring me parts on the job site.<br>Lawrence,the older lescos were modeled after the Scag.<br>Dave

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have a question.<p>how do you tell if a mower that resembles another is a copy or an improvment.<p>I would think it's possible to have it both ways. for example... the skag and the lesco. or the buick riveria and the olds aurora, the maxima and the infiniti J 30(?).<p>for me, I was darn happy when, unfortunately, I hit a 50 pound window weight hidden in high grass and bent a spindle shaft. the skag dealer was closest so I went there. they had it. ther are lots of interchangeable parts. heck! they said give 'em a call anytime!<p>GEO

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I was on a Kohler bashing session a few months ago as I had a bad Kohler engine in my Walker. I got it fixed and sold it. I bought a new Walker - what engine did I put in it. A Kohler!<br>If you enjoy using a MTD or a Murry then use it. The bottom line is that if you get the job done and your customer is happy and you are making a profit, whats the difference. <br>I know that there are machines that can do it faster and better. Thats why we are here, to get many opinions. We have to qualify all advise given as this is a forum. Experience is your best teacher - after that its LAWNSITE. Good Luck.

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Call me ignorant,but a Dixie Chopper bears<br>a close resembelance to a Toro Z222.<br>Over here MTD have the worst name possible.<br>They have given US gear a bad name,even though my Walker has been excellent.<br>MTD. Made To Disintegrate.<p>Karl<br>

10. cosmo

cosmo LawnSite Member

Does anyone know of a web site that has Lesco mowers (for sale, desc. etc.).