Lesco Ztwo issues,

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by thinksnow, May 16, 2018.

1. thinksnow

thinksnow LawnSite Member

I have a lesco Ztwo. I think it’s a 2009, whatever the last year of thr Ztwo was. It has a 25hp kawi on it. I was mowing yesterday and everything was fine, then it started acting up. It would run strong for a pass or two, then start to bog down. If I stopped and disengaged the blades, the rpms would go up and down and eventually the engine would stall. If I turned the ignition off then right back on and start it, it would run great. I could engage the blades and make a pass or two before the process started over again. Initially I was thinking voltage to the ignition system or a fuel issue. It has a brand new fuel filter on it and a fresh tank of premium. I nursed it through this process trying to finish the lawn, but with a small area left my clutch **** the bed. I picked up a new clutch today but I’m hesitant to put it on. My thought is the engine issue might be electrical, maybe the voltage regulator or the coil. Consequently the voltage issues might be what killed the clutch. Any thoughts or experience with similar issues? Thanks

2. Jmcculler

Jmcculler LawnSite Member

Probably the other way around. . Your clutch was probably causing the electrical problems on the way out, not the electrical problems causing the clutch to go.

hort101 and BigFish like this.
  3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

^^^^Yep, what he said.^^^^
    Look, the ignition doesn't need 12v. to operate. Magneto ign., right? So...
    But, the fuel solenoid/anti afterfire valve does require 12 volts to work. It acts on the main jet to stop or allow fuel to flow thru. No or low voltage and the solenoid will close, shuttin' off the fuel. Usually screwed into the carb bowl. They can also get gunked up and act stupid.

Breezmeister and hort101 like this.
  4. thinksnow

thinksnow LawnSite Member

I thought of that scenario however if that were the case when I disengaged the blades you would think the engine would recover and level out. It wasn’t doing that, it would struggle and then stall. Once I turn the ignition Off then back on, then it would run fine for a short time

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Platinum Member

I think he may have meant it could also be the fuel shutoff which is a plunger on the bigger kawasaki engines attached to the bolt that holds the fuel bowl on the carb. When you run the blades you're using a lot more fuel and when you disengage it may be a tad late to catch back up if it's restricted. How long does it run without engaging the blades? Also, Coils can do this and well really the scenarios can go on and on. Try checking with a volt meter or amp meter during the times it's giving you a problem. On the z two I had the clutch had an adjustment. I doubt this is your issues. Usually when they need adjusted the go in and out of engaging and stop engaging at all until you pull the button and tap on the clutch but I wouldn't do that unless you're familiar with the process as it's not safe to do.

6. Jmcculler

Jmcculler LawnSite Member

There still could have been an intermittent short within the bad clutch that caused a voltage draw even when the blades were disengaged. I would try putting on the new clutch but leave the wiring for it unplugged. Run the mower and see if you have any engine problems. If you have none plug the new clutch in and go from there. I have also read problems people were having with burning out clutches and engine problems that turned out to be the pto switch itself and cycling the switch would stop the problem ittermittently as you have described.

Breezmeister likes this.
  7. BigFish

Plunger... attached to the bolt that holds the fuel bowl on the carb??
    What kind of gibberish is that?? Do you even know what yer talkin 'bout ?

Breezmeister likes this.
  8. unkownfl

from the outside it looks like the bolt holding the bowl. i know its a solenoid THATS A THING 12MM or something like that i had to grind a craftsman down and have been using it for awhile.

here it is in context. Next time understand it's a dependent statement. Taken out of context, you may. Sorry I don't use punctuation.

I think he may have meant it could also be the fuel shutoff which is a plunger on the bigger kawasaki engines attached to the bolt that holds the fuel bowl on the carb.

That bolt is a hollow bolt with a solenoid in it or it could be described as a threaded solenoid. But at the end of the day it holds the carb bowl with a plunger like a needle and seat except the seat is the main jet.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  9. unkownfl

If it makes you feel any better big fish I just cut the whole needle off with dikes most of the time. I'm not interested in paying that much for a replacement.

10. BigFish

Herler...err Topsites... is that you ? Where ya been ??

Breezmeister likes this.