Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2015 Z960r with a 60 inch mulch on demand deck. I was playing around on deeres parts catalog over the weekend and noticed a newer version of What I would call the chute blocker as well as the other baffles related to the MOD system. Just curious if anyone has changed anything on their deck out to the newer parts and if it helps with the trail of clippings. I made some minor changes to my ICD deck on my Ferris and pretty much eliminated my only complaint with it (stringers when dry). I’m pretty certain there’s a resolution (aside from changing back to the pro deck) for most of the issues with the MOD if we’d put our heads together. I retired from the farm equipment business and have a decent prototyping capability out of my home shop (CNC cut and machine, 3d print, laser etc. if you have an idea you wanna try or something you think might work, reach out. I will also say this and probably should have put it at the top- I have Zero interest in any form of financial gain from something like this I just enjoy tinkering and engineering solutions for problems. however if someone on here has the perfect fix for this deck and wants to sell a kit or something I can help you get that ball rolling too if it works. For the manufacturer knows best guy out there about to comment… you’ll get nowhere with me. I’m the take a crazy idea and spend enough time and money that it doesn’t seem crazy anymore guy. If my boss lady would leave me alone and stop making margaritas by the pitcher I would have a drive by wire single joystick Ferris chassis with some form of a MOD deck under it. Playing around now with an Arduino controller so I can move each baffle independently for varying conditions/test. If you’ve tried something that worked or just want to chat give me a email or text sometime [email protected] 9105081237

·
Registered
24,831 Posts
I have a MOD deck shell in like new conditions I'd be happy to sell you cheap so that you could experiment with designs on it which would make it a lot easier than doing it under the machine. I HATE the MOD deck for my grass types, which is here in MI. Too many stringers and way too much blowout at the front. I have a thread on here with tons of pics of the deck swap. It is called John Deere deck swap IIRC. Pics of the shell are in it. I lost money up front when buying it and then another 1K for the new Pro deck shell, but it was well worth it.

·
Registered
24,831 Posts
I've tried a few different mods to my Pro deck over the years just to experiment and have one now that actually works quite well so I will leave it in there permanently.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I owned a 2013 JD Z950R with a MOD deck for 9 years. Finally traded it in for a Z950R with 7 Iron Pro deck just this past winter. I experienced all the same frustrations everyone else did with the MOD. I never did get it to function properly in tall fescue as a mulch deck (flap closed) but I did modify it to where it worked fairly well as a conventional deck with side discharge. First I unbolted and tossed the two small adjustable baffle plates between the blades. I then took a right angle metal saw and cut off an additional two inches of welded baffling between the blades which essentially made it somewhat similar to the 7 iron pro. I was pretty happy with the cut after that although I no longer had any mulching capabilities. In the end I spent the extra money for the MOD, invested lots of time troubleshooting, and now all I can say is I ended up with a very expensive grass flap. Glad to be done with the MOD deck.

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
I have a competitor here in town that MOD's absolutely EVERYTHING, even wide open cutting where throwing the grass out the side would be so much easier. It seems to look ok other than some wad trailing if the grass is really thick. His biggest downfall though is that he cannot go out when it is too wet out or he'll plug that thing up too much. He's never out mowing early in the morning, always waits until mid morning or so.

·
Registered
24,831 Posts
I always had great success cutting in the wet with my MOD. Due to the way the grass comes out across the right blade, it throws the clippings as far or farther than the Pro deck, and the right blade busts up any wads that might come out. It would get a lot more build up under the deck in the wet (and dry) than the Pro deck but it cut as well or even better in the wet than the Pro deck.

My omplaint was always that it left tons of stringers no matter the speed or the type of blade used. I have posted a bunch of pics of the issue on here in the past. he deck striped quite well, I'll give it that, but the stringers and wearing all the debris all day was just too much. If I cut at 3" or lower, it cut pretty well, but I never cut that low here in the north.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a MOD deck shell in like new conditions I'd be happy to sell you cheap so that you could experiment with designs on it which would make it a lot easier than doing it under the machine. I HATE the MOD deck for my grass types, which is here in MI. Too many stringers and way too much blowout at the front. I have a thread on here with tons of pics of the deck swap. It is called John Deere deck swap IIRC. Pics of the shell are in it. I lost money up front when buying it and then another 1K for the new Pro deck shell, but it was well worth it.
Message me a price, I have a MOD shell but it’s a 54 and would take some mount modifications. With yours I could swap them easily.
Specifically what changes did you do to the ICD deck?
I modified the deck baffles to the way Ferris originally wanted to sell the ICD deck before the lawsuit. I have a picture somewhere it their design and mine. I also changed the center and discharge spindle pulleys so that center was 10% faster than left and discharge 10% faster than center. Very subtle change when you look at the pulleys (same belt worked) but makes a big difference in tall fescue. Coming from the big farm equipment business specifically combines and forage harvesters there’s a general rule in engineering that anytime a crop is handled is must be accelerated to maintain crop flow of throughout the machine. The biggest problem is finding the happy medium for dry stringy fescue that turns into broomstraw about now and talk wet stuff in spring and fall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I have a 2015 Z960r with a 60 inch mulch on demand deck. I was playing around on deeres parts catalog over the weekend and noticed a newer version of What I would call the chute blocker as well as the other baffles related to the MOD system. Just curious if anyone has changed anything on their deck out to the newer parts and if it helps with the trail of clippings. I made some minor changes to my ICD deck on my Ferris and pretty much eliminated my only complaint with it (stringers when dry). I’m pretty certain there’s a resolution (aside from changing back to the pro deck) for most of the issues with the MOD if we’d put our heads together. I retired from the farm equipment business and have a decent prototyping capability out of my home shop (CNC cut and machine, 3d print, laser etc. if you have an idea you wanna try or something you think might work, reach out. I will also say this and probably should have put it at the top- I have Zero interest in any form of financial gain from something like this I just enjoy tinkering and engineering solutions for problems. however if someone on here has the perfect fix for this deck and wants to sell a kit or something I can help you get that ball rolling too if it works. For the manufacturer knows best guy out there about to comment… you’ll get nowhere with me. I’m the take a crazy idea and spend enough time and money that it doesn’t seem crazy anymore guy. If my boss lady would leave me alone and stop making margaritas by the pitcher I would have a drive by wire single joystick Ferris chassis with some form of a MOD deck under it. Playing around now with an Arduino controller so I can move each baffle independently for varying conditions/test. If you’ve tried something that worked or just want to chat give me a email or text sometime [email protected] 9105081237
I just traded a 2008 Deere z520A with a 60" 7 iron pro deck (mulch kit installed), for a 2020 z930m with 100 hrs. The 930 has a 60" MOD deck. The dealer installed new blades, which are the ones I believe others refer to as the wavy kind, as they are not a flat-blade. I just mow my 2 acres, and have no need to discharge. I really love the new to me machine, but the MOD, not so much. While researching the ridges, and stringers of grass it leaves, I ran across this thread. Initially, Salemturftech, I was just going to say I want your reality, to just play with my cool toys in the garage. However, I realized that wasn't helpful to the other readers, at least those without envy! So, a question, if you know: Can I just install a mulching kit on my MOD kit? I realize I cannot then discharge out the side chute, but I have always mulched year-round. Have attached a few photos of my lawn, which was just mowed last night. Pardon the labrador-irrigation:)

Best Regards, Jeff
Plant Tree Vegetation Land lot Shade
Plant Grass Land lot Groundcover Evergreen

Dog Plant Grass Carnivore Fawn

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I run a 54 inch MOD on my 994r and absolutely love it. Of course I’m in South Louisiana where the grass is stiffer. I run the mulching blades from around October through May, and June through September I run the high lifts because they disperse the wet grass well. The MOD cannot mulch 6 inches plus of growth as it will leave a windrow. Most of the year I can get by mulching (which is something I don’t do a ton of except around cars, flower beds, driveways, etc). If I happen to get the windrow every now and then I will raise the deck an or so and pass over it and it’s gone. I have two big cemeteries that I cut. If you’re familiar with Louisiana, you’d know that people are buried above ground. The MOD is awesome for not blowing grass on the tombs, and that is something the people here definitely frown upon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just traded a 2008 Deere z520A with a 60" 7 iron pro deck (mulch kit installed), for a 2020 z930m with 100 hrs. The 930 has a 60" MOD deck. The dealer installed new blades, which are the ones I believe others refer to as the wavy kind, as they are not a flat-blade. I just mow my 2 acres, and have no need to discharge. I really love the new to me machine, but the MOD, not so much. While researching the ridges, and stringers of grass it leaves, I ran across this thread. Initially, Salemturftech, I was just going to say I want your reality, to just play with my cool toys in the garage. However, I realized that wasn't helpful to the other readers, at least those without envy! So, a question, if you know: Can I just install a mulching kit on my MOD kit? I realize I cannot then discharge out the side chute, but I have always mulched year-round. Have attached a few photos of my lawn, which was just mowed last night. Pardon the labrador-irrigation:)

Best Regards, Jeff View attachment 514390 View attachment 514391

View attachment 514393
I have a black lab myself, June isn’t very photo savvy though. Have you had a look under the deck yet? There are two baffles that are held on with a little 10 mm head bolt. If you’re wanting to mulch you definitely want those in there. You probably want to extend them so they almost touch the other baffles (it’ll make more sense when you’re looking up under there). I’ll dm you my number and if you wanna text me some pics I’ll try and help you come up with something that works properly. It’s been so hot and dry here it’s not like I’ve got anything to mow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a black lab myself, June isn’t very photo savvy though. Have you had a look under the deck yet? There are two baffles that are held on with a little 10 mm head bolt. If you’re wanting to mulch you definitely want those in there. You probably want to extend them so they almost touch the other baffles (it’ll make more sense when you’re looking up under there). I’ll dm you my number and if you wanna text me some pics I’ll try and help you come up with something that works properly. It’s been so hot and dry here it’s not like I’ve got anything to mow.
here’s one I took, the baffles are adjusted out as much as they will go, you can see there’s just a small gap
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
24,831 Posts
here’s one I took, the baffles are adjusted out as much as they will go, you can see there’s just a small gap
View attachment 515115
Hey, your center blade is on upside down. Those are the oem wavy mulchers. You need to switch that middle blade around right away. I made some extended baffles like salemturftech is talking about and they make a big difference in reducing the clipping streak along the block off plate at the right side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, your center blade is on upside down. Those are the oem wavy mulchers. You need to switch that middle blade around right away. I made some extended baffles like salemturftech is talking about and they make a big difference in reducing the clipping streak along the block off plate at the right side.
How freaking embarrassing I didn’t notice! But, new blades were installed by a John Deere dealer as part of the purchase. However, thrilled to hear as that explains why it has been cutting so badly! Thank you friend!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How freaking embarrassing I didn’t notice! But, new blades were installed by a John Deere dealer as part of the purchase. However, thrilled to hear as that explains why it has been cutting so badly! Thank you friend!!
I can’t believe I didn’t notice that, but Im sure glad it was an easy fix. That’s what I get for trying to look at mower decks while putting brakes on an old Freightliner. Being a 2020 model your deck appears to have the newer baffles I was talking about in my original post… I don’t think my factory ones came that close to the moving MOD baffle. I’m still trying to figure out this discharge chute blocker change and if I should buy the newer one or just make my own.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

is yours like this or does it have the slot in it and not as big of taper on the bottom front l?

·
Registered
24,831 Posts
I can almost gaurantee youm that Deere made those baffle lates longer after I posted about doing so on here and how the results were. They may not post here, but I know they read here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can almost gaurantee youm that Deere made those baffle lates longer after I posted about doing so on here and how the results were. They may not post here, but I know they read here.
I don’t doubt that a bit. They’re sneaky. Family owned a single store dealership for 50+ years till finally sold out to conglomerate. Know all about em. Still the best product you can buy imo, I’d love to switch brands but can’t find anything I like. On the parts catalog they changed quite a few of the MOD components slightly not sure of year because it’s a serial number break. My original purpose of this thread was actually to see if I could get lucky and get someone that had ran the old version and the new version

1 - 20 of 23 Posts