1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Let the battle begin Tanaka vs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TierOneLawnCare, Aug 25, 2006.

1. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

I need some info on three trimmer.....I am trying to figure out which one to buy and would like your help

Tanaka TBC-230, Available online for $185.00 + $25.00 shipping, No dealer within 25 miles, and comes with a 1 year warranty .95hp.....as far as warranty goes, If I buy it online and have trouble will another dealer warranty it for me?

Redmax TRC-2300 Available at local dealer $249.95 + tax, extremly close
    to house, 2 year warranty 1.1hp

Redmax BC250, Available online for $199.95 free shipping and no tax

I am so confused....you make my decision for me!!

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    RE: Buying Tanaka Online / Warranty
    If you ever need service work and a can't get a local dealer to work on it, you can send it to us here in Auburn WA and we will take care of you. FYI - Looks like you got the h.p.'s reversed - the Tanaka is 1.1 h.p.

Here's the link to the TBC-230 field test...http://www.tanaka-usa.com/pdf/fieldtest.pdf

Just curious - who is the online dealer?

-MW

3. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

Russo Power Equipment

4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i have never used tanaka products except for the green monster trimmer line, they may be wonderful trimmers, but i can absolutely say from experience that red max is awesome.

5. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Don't spend so much time fretting over a $200 purchase. There's got to be more important issues.

6. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

You asked, Tanaka. Change the Red Max models and my answer would change as well.

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

We are a dealer for Tanaka and we have had very good luck with their products. However if you dont have a dealer close that could make it a bit of a pain when you need parts down the road. Trimmer heads wear out, the springs get lost...and so on.

I would try to support your local dealers if possible...

8. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely get the tanaka. I dont understand the fuss about not having a dealer near by. They don't break and if you need parts the internet will have them to you by the end of the week. I am not bashing local dealers but for a trimmer or other small purchase, I would go for the better price on line. For a ztr or something like that, I would find the local guy. But I am a small time lawn guy and I fix my own stuff.
    But as far as the tanaka goes, it is light as hell and never breaks. I have the tbc 230 for about 1 year now and it is used to take the burden off of my old tbc 220 which is 14 years old. I cut 12-15 1/2 acre lawns a week.

9. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Russo is good, they do a lot of business with a lot of people in and around chicago.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have a demo review up here on the RedMax 2300.
    You might want to read that before deciding.