1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Let's get the FACEBOOK LIKES rolling

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grasshopperslawn, Dec 30, 2012.

  1. birddseedd

    birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,111

    use real advertising instead of a childs toy?

    i mean this light heartedly. im really not into facebook. my wife is addicted and wont clean the house because of it.
  2. DLCS

    DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,386

    She probably says your addicted to Lawnsite? I'd like to have back all the hours that I have spent on lawnsite.
  3. birddseedd

    birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,111

    that she would. but i learn alot from you guys
  4. tonygreek

    tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,867

    Yes, albeit via Facebook Ads. If a business' status went to all of the people who Like them, Facebook wouldn't be able to sell advertising.
  5. PaperCutter

    PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,996

    I would wager no one uses Facebook to look for a service provider as if it were Google. If that's how you think it works then yes, you'll be disappointed by the results and shouldn't waste your time.

    The way it actually works is people who have either used your service or are interested in your service like your page. You post content that is of value to them and they then share that with their friends. That then exposes you to more people who may potentially seek out your services. If these folks then also like your page, you have grown your network and your possible pool of clients and referral partners.

    Example: this week I did a blog post on impatiens downy mildew and why you shouldn't plant bedding impatiens this year. I posted the link to Facebook and throughout the day, people kept sharing it because THEY found it relevant, useful, and interesting and they felt their friends would also value it. My site received nearly 3x the number of pageviews I normally do and most of those came from Facebook. There hasn't been an immediate conversion, but social media is planting seeds.
  6. birddseedd

    birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,111

    I dont doubt that it can work. but i probably wont bother with it untill i actualy have more than 2 customers. sota speak.
  7. sealcutter

    sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.
    Messages: 255

    So only facebook gets the promo code? I will never be on facebook, and I know of several other well established LCO that say they never showed any proof of it gaining more calls or jobs. We try not to work for friends and family, so who visits your facebook page the most, Friend or strangers?
  8. tonygreek

    tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,867

    Facebook is a part of an overall marketing mix that helps build brand awareness. Whether you use it or not, it's up to you, but if you choose not to use it, well, you're loosing out on the brand extension it can provide. For 99% of LCO's (and service businesses in general), it's probably not going to drive much, or any, real business. The other 1%, the ones who actually know how to utilize it with useful, shareable, content, will be the ones who see the most benefit. Probably more so than any other medium, execution is the key. If you execute poorly, you'll just find yourself talking to your Mom, Brother, and 200 LCO's who Liked your Page.

    As for why service businesses have a tougher time, what is inherently shareable about having your lawn mowed, leaves picked up, toilet unclogged, or driveway sealed? Beyond a positive experience or great special offer, not much, so you have to put the time and effort in to creating a shareable experience for the people who follow your Page. If you're a landscaper doing great design/install work, your pictures and advice are infinitely more shareable than someone who does lawn apps or only mows. (Which is why, once they nail down localization, I think Pinterest will ultimately prove better for Landscape marketing.)
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  9. birddseedd

    birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,111

    I bought some parts from my hvac guy. i did not like his facebook page
  10. crichardson

    crichardson LawnSite Member
    Messages: 96

    It's even funnier that people put like us in their signature on this forum.

Share This Page