1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

let's talk maintenance

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JCLawn and more, Aug 30, 2013.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Too keep things simple a 15000$ machine that lasts 5000 hours costs 3$ per hour in replacement/purchase cost.

Problem as I see it I don't think you can do it at 1$ per hour in maintance costs.

In reality its an 8/9/10$ machine which is close to the gas burners most of us run, the pay off is its a whole lot more Productive.

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

See my comment above. Haha I figure I would burn $8 a hour (with gas) just in fuel to keep up with this machine. Plus replacement at 2000 or less hrs.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  3. larryinalabama

Im with ya. You missed the part where I said the payout is that the machine is WAY MORE PRODUCTIVE.

Thanks for the heads up on the Kubota I posted for sale.

Im not argueing with you at all. No doubt on a large property the equiptment cost with what your running would be a lot less than mine, not to mention "labor" cost.

4. JCLawn and more

from MI

Ya and honestly in 1100 hrs I have not spent more than $400 in maintenance, but I haven't been taking care of it as I ought. You might be able to find a zd300 series mower at that price. I would buy one with 1000 hrs on it in a heart beat

5. JCLawn and more

from MI

That's oil, filters, blades, deck belt. Its been awesome. I've even plowed snow with the thing hauling it around in the salt. I had 2 parking lots, and around 15 driveways before I got a plow truck. Also off road diesel has been around $3.20 to 3.40 a gal and it never uses over one gal a hour. One of these days I get pic up of how this thing works.

6. larryinalabama

If one of those mowers would fit my business model Id get one, I still search out for a good deal on a used one.

Im a machinery nut similar too you, lack of energy and time helps keep me from buying more stuff