Lets try this again

Turf Logic

LawnSite Member
Hey guys this may be the wrong forum but I think it may be a pretty cool thread. I see a lot of guys posting threads on here about getting started in the lawn application industry and needing some help or direction on where to go. So maybe this will help. I was originally a full service landscape company that specialized in the track home new construction. In the past year between pricing, employees, and stress from outside factors. I cut my company down to a screeching halt. I only kept enough business to pay my bills.

My favorite part of the industry other than pricing and estimating was lawn care applications. So here we are with me as my only full time employee. I am going to be posting some pictures of some of the new accounts as we pick them up, equipment, marketing, and processes. I know most people are pretty private about their businesses but I am not. Feel free to ask questions about what I am posting, however keep in mind I am certainly not an expert. The point of this thread is to show the trials and tribulations, success and failures of starting a new company. Hopefully I can help some other people in the industry and some others can help me.

The most challenging part of this business to me besides the background and knowledge is the organization, routing, customer service, and accounting. I decided to go with Real Green Systems. I felt Real Green after weighing my options was the most complete route with best support. I did not want our software to be the weakest link in our business as we go.

This is the most important part. NC Pesticide License. There is nothing more aggravating then having to go through the correct steps of business only to find your competitors not doing the same.

Marketing. We decided to go door to door right off the bat trying to pick up new business. We decided to go with door hangers. This is what we came up with

This is what our end product looks like as far as invoicing. Im a big fan of leaving invoices at the door versus mailing them.

Here is a picture of our first spray rig. Its not much but it will work for now.

My dad has a sod farm, here is a picture of some of the augustine we produced along with a picture of my best buddy taking it easy:

Thats about it in a nutshell for the beginning. We currently have 13 properties and will be adding more this week. Hopefully this thread will help all of us.

Raymond S.

LawnSite Senior Member
But the real question is..."What are you going to do with all those trimmers!" lol

Good Luck. Looking forward to your progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
Turf Logic

Turf Logic

LawnSite Member
But the real question is..."What are you going to do with all those trimmers!" lol

Good Luck. Looking forward to your progress.
Posted via Mobile Device
HAHA the funny thing is that is not even half of all the trimmers, weed eaters and edgers I have. I would rather keep them than give them away.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Sweet. Great start! And you have some background in turf...St Augustine by the acre! Excellent. Take advantage of that knowledge and marketing advantage by discussing in your flyers how your knowledge and experience puts you head and shoulders above the competition.

And...take advantage of the quick and personal service only a small business can provide. Use you cell phone so you can promise to return all calls within 10 minutes. The bigger the competitor's business the worse their service--everybody knows that. Slow response to service calls, and callbacks. Out of state 800 numbers--phone trees--out of state computer calling centers...repeated sales pitches for aeration , lime, grubs, perimeter pests, on and on...

OP
Turf Logic

Turf Logic

LawnSite Member
Sweet. Great start! And you have some background in turf...St Augustine by the acre! Excellent. Take advantage of that knowledge and marketing advantage by discussing in your flyers how your knowledge and experience puts you head and shoulders above the competition.

And...take advantage of the quick and personal service only a small business can provide. Use you cell phone so you can promise to return all calls within 10 minutes. The bigger the competitor's business the worse their service--everybody knows that. Slow response to service calls, and callbacks. Out of state 800 numbers--phone trees--out of state computer calling centers...repeated sales pitches for aeration , lime, grubs, perimeter pests, on and on...
Riggle Im glad to see that you posted in this thread. I pay attention to what you have to say in a lot of these threads.

Efficiency

Banned
good choice on SA. Get to know the call log feature. Its a mad house in the office now with our leads coming in and I wouldnt remember a damn thing about any client or where in the sales pipeline they are if we were not using that feature.