Let's try this again...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthere2help

LawnSite Member
Started mowing with my 21" Honda HRR216K9VKA, battery powered string trimmer, and free leaf blower to help earn some extra cash on days off. Not sure it really matters what I'm using the cash for, but if it makes any of you feel better you can ask in a PM and I'm happy to share. I'm in the St. Louis area and got into this because ... (doesn't matter).
I was surprised at how much people were paying for lawn care and how hard it was for people with a small gate on a fenced in yard to find the help they needed on a fixed income. Some were being charged $50 for a 400 sq. ft. lawn. I've been charging $35 for these kinds of lawns (is that fair?).
So, I started this up and it seems to be going well. I've learned a little about the business, but certainly not even close to what most pros know. I'm hoping to learn more and get some good business pointers here.
I had to sell my Titan, so now I'm pulling a small trailer behind my Prius, doing about 12 lawns a week. I'll post a pic soon.
I'm liking the lawn care business a lot and may consider going full-time some day if I can swing it.

BigJlittleC

Banned
being charged $50 for a 400 sq. ft. lawn. I've been charging $35 for these kinds of lawns (is that fair?).
Sounds like your leaving money on the table!

Usually small yards fall into company minimum charges. It doesn't matter if you have 5 minutes worth of work or a full day. It cost the same to just show up prepared to work.

Carolina Cuttin' Company

LawnSite Bronze Member
Started mowing with my 21" Honda HRR216K9VKA, battery powered string trimmer, and free leaf blower to help earn some extra cash on days off. Not sure it really matters what I'm using the cash for, but if it makes any of you feel better you can ask in a PM and I'm happy to share. I'm in the St. Louis area and got into this because ... (doesn't matter).
I was surprised at how much people were paying for lawn care and how hard it was for people with a small gate on a fenced in yard to find the help they needed on a fixed income. Some were being charged $50 for a 400 sq. ft. lawn. I've been charging $35 for these kinds of lawns (is that fair?).
So, I started this up and it seems to be going well. I've learned a little about the business, but certainly not even close to what most pros know. I'm hoping to learn more and get some good business pointers here.
I had to sell my Titan, so now I'm pulling a small trailer behind my Prius, doing about 12 lawns a week. I'll post a pic soon.
I'm liking the lawn care business a lot and may consider going full-time some day if I can swing it.
Welcome!

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
"not even close to what most pros know" -maybe there is a reason that they charge what they charge even if "you" think it is high. Undercutting the competition by 30% should tell you that you are doing something wrong right there.
"how much people were paying" -If they were paying it, that means that the could afford it.
"going full time" -means upgrading equipment which costs money which you won't have due to charging 30% less than current market prices.
"don't want employees" -that's good, because you'll never get any good ones because you won't be able to afford them.

Status
Not open for further replies.