Lawn Care Forum banner

lettering vs wrapping. the best bang for your buck.

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  sticklelm 
#1 ·
I am about to get my trailer done with my business and everything and was looking to see what advice yall had about this subject. i dont know whether or not to letter it and go the cheaper route or do a full blown custom wrap and spend the extra money. also what kind of information is good to put on my trailer. i know phone number and business name and possibly my website, but what else? i was considering a QR code reader that directed them to my site or a special deal of some sort. any ideas? also what are the avg costs i'll have to fork out for either of the two advertising methods? Thanks guys. your advice is much appreciated.

#5 ·
all of our trucks and trailers are either heavily lettered or fully wrapped. We find that we get far more calls from the wrapped vehicles with graphics than we do from the lettered ones. For the wrapped trailers we have our name&logo, website and phone number, and a brief general list f our services, along with graphics. We find with all of our vehicles that we get a better response to our website than phone calls. So we now have the website much larger than the phone number on everything. Also if you have a long or hard to remember domain, it is definitely worth it to purchase a shorter, easy to remember domain to link to your site.

Another thing we do on our enclosed is we have a section that has studs poking out. We have a number of different sheet metal panels that we mount to the trailers, each one has graphics and info for specific times of year.

#6 ·
all of our trucks and trailers are either heavily lettered or fully wrapped. We find that we get far more calls from the wrapped vehicles with graphics than we do from the lettered ones. For the wrapped trailers we have our name&logo, website and phone number, and a brief general list f our services, along with graphics. We find with all of our vehicles that we get a better response to our website than phone calls. So we now have the website much larger than the phone number on everything. Also if you have a long or hard to remember domain, it is definitely worth it to purchase a shorter, easy to remember domain to link to your site.

Another thing we do on our enclosed is we have a section that has studs poking out. We have a number of different sheet metal panels that we mount to the trailers, each one has graphics and info for specific times of year.
Do you have a pic of this setup and how it works. I was thinking about doing this
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
i've posted it on here, if you do a search you should find it. I don't think they were to clear on how it is set up though. It was as simple as drilling through the trailer where the studs are in the walls. Sliding a 3" bolt through and putting a nut on the outside so that thee bolt stays in place. Then we put up the piece of sheet metal with holes drilled for the bolts to slide through. Then another nut to hold the sheet metal to the studs.

The only problem we had was that the nuts behind the sheet metal keeps the sheet metal about 1/4 off of the wall of the trailer, this caused an annoying whistle when air blew behind it when driving down the road. It was louder than the radio could go when doing 70mph on the highway. To resolve the issue we simple put a piece of L channel aluminum on the trailer right in front of the signs to divert the air.

#8 ·
i've posted it on here, if you do a search you should find it. I don't think they were to clear on how it is set up though. It was as simple as drilling through the trailer where the studs are in the walls. Sliding a 3" bolt through and putting a nut on the outside so that thee bolt stays in place. Then we put up the piece of sheet metal with holes drilled for the bolts to slide through. Then another nut to hold the sheet metal to the studs.

The only problem we had was that the nuts behind the sheet metal keeps the sheet metal about 1/4 off of the wall of the trailer, this caused an annoying whistle when air blew behind it when driving down the road. It was louder than the radio could go when doing 70mph on the highway. To resolve the issue we simple put a piece of L channel aluminum on the trailer right in front of the signs to divert the air.
Yea I gave up, git tired of searching...
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
Yea I gave up, git tired of searching...
Posted via Mobile Device
same here...couldnt find it. haha. Oh and GreenI.A. where you getting more people interested in landscape work or maintenance? I would think landscaping because with your trailer wraps they can display your work better? Anyways, a picture of your trailers would be nice!

#10 ·
utilizing different ways to promote your business is the way to go. I seen people take their phones out and scan the QR codes all the time on our trailers. Do they bring in more business... I don't know, but in my area I'm the only one with them.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Land vehicle

#13 ·
same here...couldnt find it. haha. Oh and GreenI.A. where you getting more people interested in landscape work or maintenance? I would think landscaping because with your trailer wraps they can display your work better? Anyways, a picture of your trailers would be nice!
Up until now we have not done maintenance at all. We were design/build, irrigation, lighting, and fert. Next season we are putting a full maintenance crew on the road though. I'll away for the holidays and will have to see what pics I can post from my ipad

#14 ·
QR codes on vehicles are just asking to be posted here

http://wtfqrcodes.com/
Funny stuff at that link. :)

I'm doing QR codes on my next round of marketing just for the inquisitive factor alone. It sets you apart from the crowd.

Even if they don't have a smartphone or know they need to download a "scanner AP" for it.

As for full wraps vs lettering....? Tough call. I did a full wrap on my 6x12 trailer for only $4k.

Would I do it again....? Yeah. Worth it...? Debatable.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 · (Edited)
i really like the idea of the QR code reader on trailers and trucks. Hopefully next spring i can afford to get the trailer done!
Thanks! The way I see it, we all have differrent opinions on a wrap Vs lettering. I think that when you wrap a trailer or truck, you're stuck with that wrap for a couple of years and after a few years you have to re do it again. What when you change your mind about the design? Lettering is more forgiving, you can add and take away as pleased.
Another suggestion would be partially wrapping your trailer?
At the end is what your confortable with and what you can afford. My 2 cents.

#16 ·
Funny stuff at that link. :)

I'm doing QR codes on my next round of marketing just for the inquisitive factor alone. It sets you apart from the crowd.

Even if they don't have a smartphone or know they need to download a "scanner AP" for it.

As for full wraps vs lettering....? Tough call. I did a full wrap on my 6x12 trailer for only $4k.

Would I do it again....? Yeah. Worth it...? Debatable.
Posted via Mobile Device
We insert our Qr codes on all our marketing materials, from business cards to magnets. I've had people come up to us and ask whats that squigully thing used for, and its start a conversation sometimes with a potential customer.

#17 ·
Thats awesome! I think by doing things differently and unique... it sets you apart from the competition. Yea you may make a few bad decisions, but you learn from them and then make better one. QR codes, wristbands, keychains, coffee mugs, tshirts, etc are all odd tools but can be used to bring in quite a bit of potential business. you just have to do things and find out what works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.