Letting customers go.

rixtag

LawnSite Senior Member
I've decided that this is the last year that I'll be cutting grass and I'm trying to decide how/when to tell my customers. I'm thinking that it could be during the season or at the end. They are all great and I'm gonna miss them but I need time more than I need money. Any ideas about when to do that? Pros and cons please.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
I've decided that this is the last year that I'll be cutting grass and I'm trying to decide how/when to tell my customers. I'm thinking that it could be during the season or at the end. They are all great and I'm gonna miss them but I need time more than I need money. Any ideas about when to do that? Pros and cons please.

I’d do it at the end of the season, unless you are ok with possibly losing them mid season. If you can afford to lose them now, then I’d just start letting everyone know this will be your last season mowing and if they quit, so be it.

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
Try to find a good and reliable LCO that you can refer them to.
You might even have to introduce said LCO to your customers.
If your customers like and have trust in you they are much more likely to take on the new service person you recommend going forward.

Find someone who will takeover asap and even train them on your accounts.

OP
rixtag

rixtag

LawnSite Senior Member
I’d do it at the end of the season, unless you are ok with possibly losing them mid season. If you can afford to lose them now, then I’d just start letting everyone know this will be your last season mowing and if they quit, so be it.
I'm not worried about that at all. They are pretty loyal and we all get along and they are happy.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Providing a viable optional mowing service or two will give them more than leaving them hanging.

Timing:
I'd tell them a couple few mowings before the final seasonal mow. Some may want to leave you w/ a parting gift out of gratitude...and providing them notice allows for them not feeling rushed in doing so.

Great customers are like gold...and you are their gold for providing a reliable service over the years.

Good luck to you, sir!

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
Don't say anything.
Change your number.
They'll figure it out when you don't show up in the spring.

Relax, people. It's a joke.

I have no advice. They aren't my customers, so what I think may not even apply.
If they are good customers, do what you would want if you were in their shoes.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
5. All are more than 6 year customers.
I asked how many, because if it was a small number you could do something more personal, and it is a small number.

Hand write them each a personal letter. Thank them, include a story or two of a fond memory you had with them and then enclose a $50 gift certificate to a nice local restaurant.

Then send out this letter instead of their last bill.

It will be amazing.

Top Forums