Letting customers go.

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
I asked how many, because if it was a small number you could do something more personal, and it is a small number.

Hand write them each a personal letter. Thank them, include a story or two of a fond memory you had with them and then enclose a $50 gift certificate to a nice local restaurant.

Then send out this letter instead of their last bill.

It will be amazing.

Fabulous thoughts!

@rixtag I noticed you've been on Lawnsite 20+ years. Just curious if you don't mind me asking, is your age catching up with you? Time to "retire" anyways? I wholeheartedly agree with your statement that our "time" is more important than money in the grand scheme of things.

I like @Crazy 4 grass's idea. I have pondered this thought myself before. We have great true relationships with the majority of our clients. If the case ever came down to bearing the bad news on our clients, I would give them plenty of notice if possible(2 months minimum). My thought would be to hold a large "shindig" in our honor as well as theirs. We do have a LOT MORE clients than you do, but the concept is the same. Bringing people together for this very reason sounds like a fantastic way to get the community together. Planting the smallest of seeds in our brothers and sisters heads can have a profound effect for society as a whole.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I like really like a combo of the my ideas as well as yours! Give them some advance notice, host a get together, then send out the letter and and gift certificate instead of their last bill.
Sagesove hit on important point- community and in person social relationships... priceless!

You will be remembered well, regardless of what you do.

OP
rixtag

rixtag

LawnSite Senior Member
I asked how many, because if it was a small number you could do something more personal, and it is a small number.

Hand write them each a personal letter. Thank them, include a story or two of a fond memory you had with them and then enclose a $50 gift certificate to a nice local restaurant.

Then send out this letter instead of their last bill.

It will be amazing.
We normally take them each a thank you gift around Christmas time but I wanted them to know sooner than that so they can find replacements. I don't really know any other companies so I can't do a personal referral. I like what you have going there.

Last edited:
OP
rixtag

rixtag

LawnSite Senior Member
drop the mower deck to 1 inch and mow them a farewell message
One of them bug me every year about cutting it at 2". Every year I point out all the places, 80% of the turf, that would cook because it's very thin and not much water coverage. She would love it for a little while anyway. Teehee

Top Forums