Leveling Lazer Z deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by mooch91, Oct 15, 2019.

1. mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

Making myself sick trying to get perfect level and pitch on a new Lazer Z deck. Concerned something might be twisted or bent. Setting the deck level side-to-side and pitched 1/4" to the front.

When I measure blade heights, I'm finding two diagonal corners that are slightly high and two that are slightly low. Meaning right front and left rear are high, left front and right rear are low. When I say slightly, I'm talking 1/8 - 1/4".

I get it as close as I can, and I find two of the chains on diagonal corners are tight (right rear, left front) and two on the other diagonal corners are loose (left rear, right front). The deck is easy to move by pushing on the left rear or lifting the right front. Tightening up on the loose chains starts to lift those corners which are already high.

Told myself this can't be right, had the dealer look at it, they gave it back about the same. Anyone experience this? Something possibly bent? Thanks.

2. OP
    OP
    mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

Couple of videos (if they link):

Left side:

Right side:

3. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

A few things to check....

1. Are tire pressures equal side to side in the rear and front?

2. Is the unit new? Do you have wear in the linkage holes? A 1/16" or more wear adds up.

3. The deck could be tweaked which occurs when it's welded together. You may try dropping the deck down on 4 blocks to see if it sits level. That will tell you there. Then see what it will take to pitch it correctly.

hort101 likes this.
  4. douglee25

from TX

Is this the procedure you're using?

Deck leveling.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

I believe that's the procedure for the older units. Per the operator's manual, the adjustments are made at the four links based on measurements off the blades. As follows:

upload_2019-10-17_12-1-31.png
    upload_2019-10-17_12-2-29.png
    upload_2019-10-17_12-3-1.png
    upload_2019-10-17_12-3-34.png
    upload_2019-10-17_12-3-59.png

6. OP
    OP
    mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

Thanks. Answers to your questions:

1. Front tires are semi-pneumatic, so no adjustments to be made. Rear tires are 11 psi.

2. Unit has 50 hours, was bought as a demo unit with 35 hours.

3. I thought about doing this - just leveling/pitching the deck (not the blades themselves) and just forgetting about it, thinking the vacuum is more a function of the pitch of the deck than the blades themselves. I know the deck spring plays some part in getting a level deck (used to disconnect it when leveling my old Hustler), and I wasn't sure how that would play in to doing it this way. Seems the procedure you posted above is more similar to this and does do something to the spring while adjusting. Different spring setup on the newer decks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  7. douglee25

from TX

Rear tire pressure is stated at 13 psi in your instructions. Raise that because it can effect overall height.

Definitely let the deck down on a set of blocks to see if it sits level. Not disconnected via the chains, just lowered with the manual height adjustment. If it sits level, proceed with releveling deck. If it doesn't, you may have to tweak it manually. You could remove a block on the corner that is high and stand on the deck on that side. See if you can bounce some weight to tweak it. The deck may require more weight than ~200 lbs.

8. OP
    OP
    mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

I will check tonight. I suspect the deck will sit level, but the blades are +/- 1/4" and that's what's causing my difficulty. I'm currently measuring off the blades. When I get the blades level/pitched, I'm pulling more/less on some of the chains to do so, and the deck gets unstable, hence the loose chains.

9. douglee25

from TX

The blades are attached to the deck/spindle. If the blades aren't able to be pitched correctly, either the blade is bent or the deck is tweaked.

10. OP
    OP
    mooch91

mooch91 LawnSite Member

When I set the deck down to be fully supported at blocks on the corners, the right front and left rear are high (the blocks slide in and out easily) while the other two corners have the weight of the deck. This is consistent with the two loose chains.

Starting to wonder if the deck is in fact tweaked.

Is it reasonable to expect a fully flat deck or common to be off by 1/8-1/4?

I know my floor isn't perfect, slopes back a little bit, but is pretty level side-to-side.