1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Liability Insurance (who are the best providers?)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmc456, Jan 25, 2004.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I know there are a lot of posts about how much everyone pays for liability insurance, but most don't say who is their insurance provider. If you think your getting a good deal, don't keep it a secrete.

Please list list your coverage, deductibles, and provider. I'm looking for an inexpensive $1MM policy since I'm just starting out.

2. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Dmc456,

Last year I was with farm bureau, (actually I still am) but they raised my rates about $300 to close to $1000 last year and I have never made a claim on it. I am sure there are better rates out there. Especially since I only do this part-time. Their answer to the increase was this, "Lawn maintenance is a risky business."
    The lady asked me several strange questions while I was on the phone with her regarding my business. The strangest was, do I have my own jet for the business? :rolleyes:
    These insurance companies are pathetic. They look for anyway possible to get out of paying claims, and new ways to increase your premium.
    It is time to start shopping around I guess.

Craig

3. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

I have Arbella, about $3400 for $500k... $2k deductable.

No offense, but why such high coverage? I mean, one million dollars? How bad can you screw up to do that much damage?

Just wondering...

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Many commercial accounts require 1Million insurance.

You are telling me you pay $3400.00 a year??????? Wow, wish I was your insurance man. 500K coverage goes for about $600.00 a year here.

5. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

In KY to have a pesticide license you have to carry a $1MM policy. Its the price of being legit.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have erie insurance 100k with a zero deductable, but keep in mind that mine is for mowing only with 1 person no snow removal or landscaping just for mowing, i can do mulching and pruning of shrubs and be covered but that is about it, i am not covered on the planting of new shrubs and trees, but since i dont have that equipment i have some friends that do and i have the homeowners get them to do it, we swap off work. My policy is $159.00 for 12 months

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

WOW thats like 2000 dollars for 100,000 in coverage. dam I pay half that for a million

8. TREEGODFATHER

Yes, but consider the higher liability I have. That's actually CHEAP for a policy in my industry.

9. Rhodester

Rhodester LawnSite Member

"I mean, one million dollars? How bad can you screw up to do that much damage?"

My lawyer just settled a case for one eyeball.

$1.2 million dollars.

I'd imagine pile-driving somebody with a tree might be more.

Dave

10. TREEGODFATHER

I'd love to hear how the eyeball was lost. Employee? Bystander?

Pile-driving someone with a tree is virtually impossible. (although I have been tempted to, on occasion):D

Now then, are you saying it'd be advisable to up my policy if I add (as I'm looking into) a grounds-care crew?