1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by smalley360, Dec 20, 2006.

  1. smalley360

    smalley360 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 48

    I am just starting my business, only doing family jobs so far due to no insurance yet. I have not gotten my contractors license yet so there is no insurance company that will give me liability insurance here in Hawaii, only insurance to cover my equipment. I want to be legit before doing any real jobs. The insurance company's here said they use to give liability ins. to non contractors and the ones who still don't have a license but have insurance are grandfathered in. Does any one know of an Insurance Co. outside of Hawaii that would give insurance or know of a way of legally getting around this, like using a contractors license and hiring me as a sub? :confused:
  2. tnmtn

    tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.
    Messages: 1,022

    i have mine through Farm Bureau. i believe they may require you to have homeowners with them as well though.
    good luck
  3. Mike33

    Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,649

    I have mine thru Erie. They are popular all around company. I would be care ful posting any illegal activity on the internet though.
  4. RockSet N' Grade

    RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,454

    I am not sure you are asking the right questions. I believe you can obtain a business license from your town or a nearby town, as say, landscaping or maintenance work. Call these insurance guys back and ask again if you have a business license would they issue liability ins or under what circumstances will they issue insurance to a new business. Another idea would to talk to a landscaper or contractor in your area and ask them.....( I pm'd you some time back with a guys name and number who could be a good resource for you). Ask more questions of the local guys in business.....

    MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,568

    In my area farm bureau has the best rates for liability.
  6. smalley360

    smalley360 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 48

    Thanks for the replies. I do have a business license but the Insurance Co's here have gotten strict asking that you have a contractors license too in order to get liability Insurance when operating heavy equipment.
    I will check into the Company's you guys mentioned as well as contact your friend RockSet. You guys are awesome and this site is the best :clapping:
    Anyone else have any other company's to check out?
  7. Mike33

    Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,649

    Yes it is a good site, go to the hardscaing forum and we will see if you have broad shoulders.
  8. cddva

    cddva LawnSite Member
    Messages: 189

    I think the motto in that forum is "sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind"!:)
  9. farmboy555

    farmboy555 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 45

    What kind of rates is Farm Burea giving in Ky State Mow Pro?

Share This Page