Liability involved in pressure washing

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by Greencuts518, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

Sure this has been talked about but figured I would update the thread for anyone thinking about getting into pressure washing or soft washing. A lot of us are in the mowing business and it is low liability in my opinion compared to pressure washing. Just hope a couple of the pros will add some input. As I've read about insurance companies not covering claims and pressure washing companies having to repaint houses and replace siding damaged by chemicals. Any input would be much appreciated and thanks in advance

2. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lawn service but started offering my lawn care customers driveway and sidewalk cleaning 6 years ago as well. Bought a 4 GPM pressure washer 6 years ago and then a 18 inch Surface Cleaner 4 years ago which drastically speeded up the process and made it more profitable.

Regarding your question though I specifically stay away from house cleaning or any vertical surfaces for the very reason that it's a lot more liability and a lot easier to damage stuff. Sidewalks and driveways especially when you're using a Surface Cleaner are probably less risk then lawn maintenance, which there's actually quite a bit of risk of damaging things doing lawn maintenance if you don't know what you're doing. You run your mower over the wrong spot with the chute open or end of the wrong direction and it's very very easy to break a window or hurt somebody with a rock or stick. It's easy to break windows with string trimmers and edgers to if you use them the wrong way.