1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Lic? Permits? certification?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by imjustdave, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. imjustdave

    imjustdave LawnSite Member
    Messages: 28

    Ok I live in the good old state of WA. As far as I can tell the only thing I need is a gerneral contractors Lic, and or a lic specific to irrigation. Am I missing something? What are other states requiring? Not even sure if I want to do irrigation but its something to look into thats for sure. Any pointers ? Also what kind of advice on running lines I see and read a little on pulling pipe? Any brands of pullers to stay away from? Thanks
  2. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    WA does not have any specific irrigation licensing requirements. Backflow requirements vary from County to County.

    You do need a contractors license, and you should get liability insurance.

    Both Ditchwitch (Woodenville) and Vermeer (Olympia) have dealers in the area, we use DW machines. Both make good plows.
  3. SprinklerGuy

    SprinklerGuy LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,778

    On the same note..

    I live in colorado and I see I don't need anything but a Medical License to perform brain surgeries....I'm not sure I want to do it at all, but it seems lucrative.....I may give it a shot. Any sorts of scalpels I should stay away from?

    Thanks in advance.....

  4. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    Heh, that got a chuckle out of me.
  5. Critical Care

    Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,654

    Don't you need proof of insurance to get your contractors license up there???

    And Dave... if you drop south of your border into this state you'll need at least an irrigation license along with a permit to install backflow assemblies.
  6. imjustdave

    imjustdave LawnSite Member
    Messages: 28

    Yes to get a Contractors lic in WA you need ins, and a bond. I have all 3 Lic, ins, and bond. I just keep seeing some people from some states stating that they had some class to go to ETC. and just wanted to ask if anybody here localy has anything else? plow hmmm sounds like farming to me ... hehe... I installed a sprinkler in my prior home, and dealing with a crappy installed one in my new home and it has me thinking of

    1 researching what all I need... looks like nothing more
    2 finding a contractor friendly store to sell supplies to me ... I need a bunch of stuff fixed
    3 doing some research to see what the market is like
    4 Any advice from people in my area???
  7. PurpHaze

    PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,496

    Personally, I'd shy away from rusty ones. They might defeat the purpose. :hammerhead:
  8. sheshovel

    sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,112

    Yea and the sharp ones!
  9. Hank Reardon

    Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 599

    I'm in a similar boat. I own own a lanscape management company and am buying a small irrigation service/installation outfit. With the new liability, we have decided to incorporate which basically means everything (bank accounts, insurance policies, etc) dies and will rebirth under the new structure. From there, it's get the bond and contractor's license.

    As for classes, I've started taking some courses through Rainbird so I can get a handle on the basics and verbiage (I've installed three personal systems over the years). In addition to Irrigation Association's offerings, Horizon Turf and United Pipe work in conjunction with manufacturers to put on classes.

    The company I am buying has about 60 service accounts on the books so I probably won't even do any new construction for the first year. Performing repairs, startups, and winterizations on high-end existing systems, (combined with classes on design) I hope to gain enough education to begin installs next year.
  10. The Yard Barber Inc.

    The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member
    Messages: 228

    do you need any of that in NC?

Share This Page